Need ID on this duck

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ibn, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Not sure what it is and can't seem to locate my Sibley's. :Depressed Anyone have a clue on the ID?

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    "Pretty Duck" that is what he is. :>)))

Think I have one of those also. :>)))

Nice shot

3. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Gale. :wink:

Forgot one other that needs an ID. This one was way out there...

[​IMG]

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

These look like Ring-necks to me. The first a female, and the second a male.

Nice shots. :smile:

5. Eric, the lighting on that first one is really nice. No help here with the ID.

6. Nice shots..............first duck is a female greater scaup, the second Im pretty sure is a ruddy duck. in any event nice shots

7. JWEAR

JWEAR

Jun 26, 2005
    LA
    i think most ruddy ducks have a blue bill

8. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Hey Eric,

I'm pretty sure the second one is an immature Ruddy duck. Not sure about the second one, I'm guessing it's a female scaup.

--ricardo

9. After consulting my wife who can actually name a good proportion of the 100+ species of duck in the collection at WWT Slimbridge we have come to the conclusion the first bird is a adult non-breeding Lesser Scaup and the second is Adult Non-Breeding North American Ruddy Duck (The subect of a controversial eradication programme here in the UK, it interbreeds with the European white headed duck and is endangering the existance of that duck in its pure state. NA Ruddy got into the wild here by escaping from collections.)

10. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the ID all! I've been wanting to capture a ruddy duck after seeing pictures. Well finally captured one, but no blue bill! :frown:

BTW, special thanks to Ricardo for meeting me out there with his setup early in the morning. That first shot was taken using his impressive combo. :wink: