Need info on Memphis, TN

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MD2595, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm planning a trip through Memphis at the end of this month so my wife can see Graceland.

I've never been to Memphis, and would like to get some input from someone who might live in the area.

I'm looking for a decent area to stay in. I don't want to pick a hotel/motel and find out that it changes when the sun goes down. I'm travelling with my wife and 2 kids under 11 so I don't want to go to a seedy area. Since I'm not from there, I need to know what area to stay away from.

I've been told on a car forum to stay away from Memphis proper. Is this true?

Thanks for any input or tips/suggestions,

Matt

2. I have previously worked in Memphis and you can't go wrong if you find a Hotel in Germantown. While it's strictly not Memphis it is a wonderful place and very close to Memphis and freeways.

3. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I live about an hour and a half from Memphis but have only stayed there a couple of times. We stayed in The Peabody. It would be very suitable for your family. They have the ducks that march in everyday at 10:00 and stay in the fountain in the lobby until 5:00 when they march back up to their home on the top floor! It's very neat and your kids would love it. It's also located right across the street from Autozone Park. You might be able to catch a minor league baseball game with the Memphis Redbirds. If you happen to be there when they have a fireworks show, I would definitely recommend that...their shows are very nice. The only thing to consider with that location is that you will be about a block from Beale Street. It's not a bad thing, but you might stay clear of there once the night crowd arrives since you will have your children. There are some very nice restaurants in the area also. Two are located right inside the hotel, and several others surround. The Peabody also has it's own shopping area called Peabody Place. They have several stores, Starbucks, a movie theater, and other attractions all at the hotel so you wouldn't have to drive to get there.

Memphis also has a zoo (which I haven't been to in about 15 or so years) and a few museums. They also have the Orpheum theater (which is also just up the street from The Peabody) where the Lion King will be featured, although I am not sure of the start dates...your trip may be a few weeks too early.

I know there are many other things that can be shared about the Bluff City, but that's a start. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

4. Matt,

I'll agree with staying in Germantown somewhere or the Peabody or one of the better known hotels in the same area as the Peabody. Likewise, Beale street's pretty well policed, but not necessarily for any kiddies.

Also, if you like BBQ, let me suggest trying Central BBQ. The Commissary in Germantown gets good reviews, but I haven't tried it yet.

5. My folks lived in Germantown for a few years and it is nice and probably better than the city itself, though I have no personal experience in the city. It is a short distance away and easy to get to. The only weird thing I found that roads that appear continuous on the map may not be that way. For example, a road will end in a T (appears straight on the map) but actually continues after you make a left or right turn and travel maybe 50 or 100 yards. Frustrating but something to note. Never had a GPS unit at the time so not sure if that is any better.

A couple of notes: 1) watch your speeding, Germantown cops are notorious for pulling people over for being 5mph over the limit. 2) drivers for whatever reason are bad, worse than here in NYC area.

Good luck and have fun!

-Eugene

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Matt -

I work in Memphis and live just outside Memphis. You are correct for the most parts of Memphis you don't want to stay there. Graceland is one of those areas. The East Memphis area of Poplar and 240 has several hotels. You can PM me if you want. I will give you my phone number and I will help you all that I can.

7. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks, I will PM you in a day or so.... I'm close to getting things finalized...

Matt

8. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    I've stayed at the Embassy Suites in Germantown several times. It's a nice hotel in the safe part of town. It's very kid friendly and the staff is awesome. You can get special rates on rooms booking through

http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MEMPEES

I can highly recommend it.

Have fun,