Need interior lighting tips

After seeing some nice images on my Facebook website, I was asked by a local realtor, if I would take some "nicer" images of a house she's trying to sell.

I used my Nikon D7000, with 10-24mm lens, SB-600 with stofen bounce.
I shot in the higher ISO's to allow some ambient light.
The pictures came out IMHO, very nice.

I just received a call from the owner of the Real Estate company, offering me compensation per house, to shoot some upscale homes in the 1m-2m range.
All they want, are some nice images of the interior, to highlight its beauty, and decor.
I have the ability to use multi lighting, if necessary.

I'd love to hear and see some of your ideas.
All suggestions welcome.

I would give serious thought to setting up a tripod and do a bit of HDR. Nothing extreme, but interiors look so much more inviting if the windows are not completely blown out. If these are upscale homes, they probably have some nice surroundings, all of which will enhance the shot and eventual sale.

Do a few shots in your own home and in short order you will have the process down so you can be in and out in 15 minutes.

Last suggestion would be to check out a magazine specializing in real estate. Analyze the shots and try to apply what you are seeing in your situation.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

I've been doing similar work, and dealing with quite severe contrasts between exterior light through windows and the interiors.

I would second the HDR thought, but keep it looking non-HDR by trying Exposure Fusion. Try out a Photomatix Pro trial and see how you get on. You'll probably have to bracket beyond what you can set up automatically in camera so manual would be the way to go.

Watch out for colour casts as well between the WB necessary for the interior and exterior views. Shooting RAW is advisable.

Or the other option is to straight blend in Photoshop.

I've been doing similar work, and dealing with quite severe contrasts between exterior light through windows and the interiors.

I would second the HDR thought, but keep it looking non-HDR by trying Exposure Fusion. Try out a Photomatix Pro trial and see how you get on. You'll probably have to bracket beyond what you can set up automatically in camera so manual would be the way to go.

Watch out for colour casts as well between the WB necessary for the interior and exterior views. Shooting RAW is advisable.

Or the other option is to straight blend in Photoshop.

Yes, the HDR sounds good.
Many of these homes, do have large windows, and I think a nice layered HDR would work.
I already have the pro version of Photomatix, so I shouldn't have a problem.

Should I use off camera strobes?
Or should I use on-camera diffused lighting?

I seem to remember TOLady posting a solution that she uses when shooting interiors for real estate.

I think she said that she shoots two exposures...one for the interior and one for the windows and then just cuts out the windows to drop in the properly exposed windows. I don't use CS5 so I'm not sure of the lingo...hopefully someone here can give you some more direction. Or maybe TOLady will amble by.

I would think that this would be a better option as you don't have to mess with HDR or worry about the HDR effect obscuring the "reality" that is the room and it's furnishings.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom