Need IR Help.

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by bubz, Jul 1, 2007.

1. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Im totally new @ IR, I have a D80 and I just got my Hoya R72 in.. I've been trying to discover the love for IR, but I cant seem to get it right?..

I need help starting off taking a picture.. I know you need a Custom WB and I kept it in 'P' Mode and set the exposure to like +4. I know the photo is supposted to come out reddish. but I dont know exactly what Im doing wrong.

help me out guys.

do i need a longer exposure or what?

PS laugh if you'd like, I already have lol.

[​IMG]

2. Travis,

The D80 is known to have a very strong IR blocking filter built into it. This makes the fact that your exposures are going to need to be longer. You may not get quite as sharp an image due to movement.

You are going to need to shoot in Manual mode:

(1) Set your WB.
    (2) Set your focus without the R72 filter.
    (3) Put your filter back on, and set your camera or lens to manual focus.
    (4) Set your aperture you want to shoot at.
    (5) Next, while looking through the viewfinder, watch your exposure meter and set your speed. Here you may want to play with it. Start out with the meter at zero. You may need to set a little longer or shorter, to keep any blown highlites out. With the D80 this may be seconds.
    (6) You will need to use PhotoShop next to adjust levels, switch out the red and blue channels in channel mixer, adjust hue and saturation, sharpen.

I am very new to this and still learning, so someone may even correct some what I put here. But this has been a good starting point for me.

I am still working on getting some of my images to POP like some of the IR Vets have done here on this forum.

Hope this helps, have some fun.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hello again bubz! Yes! You need much more light to get to the sensor.

Everything George said is true. However, he's got all the steps there, and you may want to get into it one step at a time. So here is an exercise to get a picture, but not a particularly *great* one (but the idea is to see how it works!)

1) Shoot in bright daylight (early afternoon is good.) Be sure your subject is evenly illuminated with direct sunlight. Also make sure there are no bright reflections (or the sun!) in the picture.

2) Put your filter on the lens - you won't be able to see through it anymore, so just work from faith! Aim the camera at your subject. If you really want to compose through the lens, put the camera on a tripod, compose, then put the filter on. Do not worry about focusing.

3) Put your camera in A mode, f/8 and iso 800, and shoot in RAW. Take a picture and look at it on the LCD. If it's too dark, add some + if it's too light, add minus exposure compensation. Keep shooting and adjusting until you get a picture that is neither too light or too dark. Change the aperture and iso if you need to.

4) Look at your pictures on the computer and adjust the white balance until you get the best colors.

That should do it. Like George said, your camera will need a very long exposure time. Once you have the image looking right, you can set a preset WB from brightly lighted grass or cotton material.

Have fun!

4. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    thanks guys soo much.. basically i just need to shoot in Manual and alot longer exposure...as george said....may be seconds. my subject really wasnt illuminated, i just saw some clouds and wanted a test shot.

i will try for more later. thanks guys.

5. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    As George said, the D80 has a pretty aggressive IR blocking filter. The ideal solution would be to find a D70 or D50 for cheap and have it converted to shoot IR only, where you can shoot at faster shutter speeds hand-held.

But keep at it. It can work with the D80. It will take some trial and error and definitely a tripod. Good luck...

6. Cabrams

Cabrams Guest

Just to add. when photoshoping your IR I set to monochrome and then some times use auto color. Most of the time this will give you a beautiful IR photo. If you want to set them yourself then use the monochrome and then brightness contrast.

7. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks guys.. I'm going to try this later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.