1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need large external HD for backup....

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Butlerkid, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I have 3 internal HDs that are for DATA only......(NO OS or applications) that I back up to two 4 TB external HDs. Currently I have about 4 TB of data/images.

My plan is to get another one or two external HDs to give me at least an additional 2 TBs of backup space.

All advice appreciated.

I found these 2 WD drives. Any difference in capability?

WD 6TB Elements External Desktop Hard Disk Drive
    B&H # WEBWLG0060H MFR # WDBWLG0060HBK-NESN

WD 6TB My Book Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive
    B&H # WEWDBBGB0060 MFR # WDBBGB0060HBK-NESN

2. A bit sparse on the specs there, B&H - other than a difference in USB plug, they don't show rotational speed or cache size for either drive....

Sean

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Sean. I thought they were both USB 3.... but ?????

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I have had the 6TB Elements unit for a year or so and have been very happy with it. It is USB3 and very fast.

I'm fairly certain that Elements is faster than My Book. Elements is sold as for desktop as well as portable, My Book is just sold as portable. They are both USB3 but I don't know if the rotational speeds are both 7200.

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Richard!

6. Growltiger

Since writing that I have read two pages on Amazon, one claiming the Elements one is 10,000 rpm and the other claiming it is 5400 rpm. I don't know what to believe.

But I can tell you that I like the Elements unit I have.

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks. Unusual for B&H not to have specs for both products. And the Elements is at a significant apparent discount suggesting it is being replaced by a newer model.....???

8. Growltiger

I found this bizarre WD support page:
    What kind of hard drive is inside a Western Digital external product? | WD Support
    It says: "We can only guarantee drive capacity. We cannot guarantee a particular internal hard drive model, data interface, rotational speed, or cache size in the external hard drive enclosure."

Hard to believe, isn't it. So they throw in whatever drive they have lying around when they make them?

• Wow Wow x 1
  9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    YIKES! I've always used WD....but this makes me at least consider Seagate!

10. Growltiger

Perhaps they are updating them to have USB-C sockets. I bought little adapters for when I need them, from Anker.

11. Growltiger

I trust WD more. I have quite a lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. That's a good reason to buy bare drives of your choosing and pop them into your own enclosures/appliances!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I generally buy hitachi enterprise class 7200 rpm SATA 3 drives and put them in my own external USB 3 chassis specifically because of things like the WD statement above.

I also run a 50TB FreeNAS appliance I built that I run scripted backups to as well as the USB 3 chassis that I use for just my photos.

So I have three full copies of my images. Desktop, USB and NAS. I’m super paranoid.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Hmmm...is that something a novice can do? I have a great PC. The only thing I would consider in the next year is increasing the RAM from 16 GB to 32 and "when forced" replace the SSD from 250 GB to 500 GB. But THAT requires sheer courage to actually USE my C: drive backup! LOL!

15. Putting a HDD in a USB chassis is easy, I'm betting you could handle it. :)  The NAS/scripted backups, etc - maybe needs a little more tech background. :)  There are several tools out there that allow you to "clone" a current SSD to a newer bigger one, tho depending on comfort level with that sort of thing, having a techy on hand isn't a terrible thing..

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I was thinking of doing this for an external HD for backup....not an SSD. I use Macrium to image my current C:.

17. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Karen, regards the SSD replacement. I just replaced mine with larger two weeks ago. Had a Samsung and got a larger one and ran their transfer software on a lark. Really did not expect it to work well. But, hour and half later everything was copied over and I was up and running. No surprises yet except it did not move my Outlook Address Book but then I may have left it open by mistake. It does require a USB connection for the transfer and then you switch out the drives.

18. I've had a half dozen external drives over time. As I out grew them I bought higher capacity replacements. Now I use a hard drive dock and bare high capacity hard drives. My dock (StarTech) accepts both 3.5" and 2.5 " hard drives or SSDs. By using multiple hard drives I now have unlimited external storage. After use each drive is stored in a fitted hard plastic case and labeled for contents. When I upgraded to a SSD system drive I just cloned the old system drive to the dock-mounted SSD making the process very easy.

19. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    A good suggestion. Right now I just keep 2 drives stored in a cabinet and bring them out and hook 'em up when needed.

20. I still have a couple of WD MyBook drives in my bookcase for emergency use if my newer backups fail. Of all the external drives I've used only one has died. It refused to start up and I figured the internal hard drive was probably good and the failure was in the external drive's power supply. I removed the hard drive and it was indeed still fine. Unfortunately the data was written in a format my PC could not read. A re-format and all was well, but I lost its data. So my lesson with brand-name external disk drives is that you can still lose data with a failure even if the drive itself is still good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.