Need monopod recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I've got a Sunpak that I am afraid is just not rugged enough for the 70-200VR. If it ever collpased, I'd collapse right next to it(lol).

Can someone recommend a brand/model that may be a good choice. I know very little about monopods. Always used a tripod until a year or two ago.

Thanks!!

2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I've heard good things about the Feisol monopod, but I don't have one and haven't used one. I think its around $100.

3. Jonathan,

I had the Feisol carbon fiber monopod and was favorably impressed with its construction, strength, lightness and small collapsed size. However, I ended up selling the Feisol and buying a Bogen/Manfrotto 684B Neotec monopod. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=336193&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

The Neotec allows me to quickly and easily change pod height by depressing a rocker-type switch with my left hand and then moving the camera/lens up or down with my right hand. While changing pod height, your right hand can maintain its position on the camera's controls and your eye can remain looking through the viewfinder. The Neotec is longer (when collapsed) and heavier than the Feisol, but I find its easier operation to be worth the tradeoff.

The 684B Neotec is rated at 17.6 lbs. There is also a 685B Neotec that supports 33lbs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=387806&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Glenn

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

I have the Bogen / Manfrotto 680B which supports 22 lb. Good price, solid construction, and weighs less than 1.7 lbs.

John P.

5. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

Jonathan,

I have the Manfrotto 684B mono. I paid about $100 for it. You'll want to get the Manfrotto 3229 head as well for about $30. It rocks. It's 3 section light and quickly adjustable with a pistol grip and quick release trigger up top.

Maximum Height 65.6" (166 cm)
    Folded Length 27.9" (71 cm)
    Load Capacity 17.6 lb (8 kg)
    Sections 3
    Leg Lock Type Push-pull
    Male Thread Size 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16
    Weight 1.6 lb (0.7 kg)

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Count me as another happy Feisol monopod user. I have to say moving from aluminum to CF really did seem to make a difference even though the weight difference is small. The Neotec looks interesting, but it seems to me that since it telescopes from the top it wouldn't be practical if you want to be able to add padding and carry the modopod over your shoulder.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    If you ever saw me with a monopod you would die laughing :>))))))))))))

8. I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 694-Magfiber (Carbon fiber) 4 section. It is about a $162.00 @ B&H or Norman Camera in K-zoo Michigan. I also bought a compact ball head. Manfrotto 486Rc2 (About $60?)
    It has a quick release feature. I also bought an extra mounting plate and leave it on my 70-200 VR all the time. I use the 2nd plate on the bottom of the camera so I can use the monopod with my shorter lenses too. I realize there are combination that are a lot less and some that are a lot more, but I love this set up. With the 70-200 it is great.

(Just my Opinion) I might be crazy, but I feel the carbon fiber helps keep the camera steadier than other materials when it comes to using a monopod.

9. I have the Manfrotto 680B like PJohnP - indeed a good choice, though with a good size ball head and the tripod legs stuffed in the bottom section, it's weighing in at over 2.5 lbs. Gets a little heavy, but I've put a strap on it and I don't notice the weight anymore.

If you get a quick release holder (about $20) you can then rotate the lens foot to any angle and mount a flash off of it for use with macro's. Been using this techique for a few weeks - it gets the extra light onto the subject really well.

10. Hi Jonathan,

My list of equipment is similar to others. In fact, I purchased the following Bogen monopods, tripods, and ball heads because they all use the same plate for the hot shoe connection (sorry if that is not stated correctly, I am such a novice at certain terminology). Anyway, hope this helps. Oh and I keep and extra plate attached to my D70 and my 70-200VR lens. That way I am always ready to attach them to my monopod or my tripod.

Monopods:

Bogen 682, supports up to 26 lbs, 4 ozs.
    Bogen 680, supports up to 22 pounds.

The 682 has a set of retractable feet.

Ball Heads:

Bogen 322RC Grip Action Ball Head
    Bogen 3437 Magnesium 3D Head

Tripod:

Bogen 3021N

11. I have the Manfrotto Monopod 694 MagFiber like Dan does. The only diffference is I decided to stay light and not use a ballhead. I picked up the RRS solution;

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

...which is a swivel and a clamp like you see in the link I posted above. The monopod stays really light to carry when/if I decide to remove the camera and use it hand held. I eliminated a bunch of weight and it works like a charm! :D

12. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Thanks to all for the great replies. Now I may try the for sale forum to see if anyone would consider selling one.

Again, Thanks Very Much!!

13. Glad I looked here, I had the same question