Need movie advice

I will be shooting my son's soccer playoffs and have a D300 for the far off shots and will also have D800 for closer action but was thinking it would be nice to shoot movie of set plays, ie. corner kicks, penalty kicks, etc. I haven't shot much video and was looking at manual re settings and am not sure which fps to pick or the 1080 vs 720 decision. Would appreciate anyones advice who does this more often.

The lower FPS will look more film-like, the higher FPS will look more video-ish but you may want that for the action. Picking 720 or 1080 is simply a choice between the two HD resolutions. If you have limited processing power or hard drive space, choose 720.

Sean

I use 720p/60fps for action shots. ESPN and ABC broadcasts 720p in HD and it's crisp and smooth.
24p is more suitable for cinematic scenes while 60 is for smoothness and ability to produce more fluid slow-motion in post.

Thanks, that is helpful. ( Now that I've gotten my gear and act together with a field pass it looks like constant rain at time of playoff...ugh)

720p mode on the D800 is a disaster image quality wise due to the way it skips lines and processes the image internally before output encoding causing a soft look and terrible moire, far worse than with 1080 if you can believe that. The bad results of 720p mode on the D800 has been documented extensively so google it and see for yourself. Unless you're going for slow-mo, I'd avoid 720 mode at all costs. even via HDMI the image suffers in 720 mode.

1080 p30 or p24 will yield the best quality the D800 can manage. Until the D5200 came along, and excluding the D4 1080p crop mode, it was the best Nikon could do. It's not to say 720p mode is worthless, it just comes with a price you need to be aware of. Do not be confused with the expected resolution differences of 720 vs 1080. The 800's problem has to do with the way it handles the video scaling to 720. It does not simply shrink a 1080 stream. Your 720p D800 footage will not even remotely approach ESPN's 720p quality since they don't use a D800 :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom