Need New Home Printer in Mixed Environment

Hey there,

My old TrendNet print server died on my Google Mesh WiFi. The device is too old to troubleshoot or update.

I'm looking for the basic B&W or color laserjet in a mixed home LAN environment (Win10, Apple OSx, iOS & Android). Can anyone recommend a printer brand and/or current model? It has been ages since I even bothered looking at printers. Budget < $250 if possible.

While we are at it, what home color multi-function (print, scan, fax) would you recommend?

No photo printing.

TIA :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I have a Canon Pixma MG6320 (I'm sure there are newer models) printer/scanner/fax machine that I got from B&H a few years ago for $50 on special. I always look for something that does two-sided printing.....half the paper! LOL!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
(The Canon mentioned above is an inkjet not a laser).
I have bought myself or recommended several of the low end HP b/w lasers in the last couple of years and they have all been excellent.
They have all been both printer and scanner, no one uses fax any more so I didn't bother about that. What is very useful is the copy button, so you can use them as photocopiers without using the computer.

The key things to know are:
  • The cheap models come with a cartridge which is only partly full, to get you started. So buy a full one with it.
  • I use them networked, which is simple and reliable. I think nowadays they all network, and also all do wireless, but check carefully.
  • If you want to plug in using USB, they don't usually supply the USB cable.
Models:
  • Some are just printers.
  • Some have a simple manual scanner on the top, with no scanner feeder. This is fine if you do very little scanning, as it removes a complicated bit of machinery from the top.
  • Next model up has a scanner feeder as well - I have one of these, it has been very good.
  • I also have a colour HP laserjet which was on special offer at the time and was a great bargain. It feels more like a business model than the bottom end ones. It too is excellent. I use it for printing maps of the exact areas I am going hiking - being laser the ink doesn't run when they get soaked.
I just went to amazon.com and searched for "hp laserjet".
  • Various print only models for as little as $90.
  • B/W with scanner feeder and duplex $197.
  • I can see what looks like my really good colour one, with scanner feeder and duplex printing for $419, reduced from $629.

I splurged for some unexplained reason and went with an Epson ET-2750. It is ink jet so I had to test the photo printing. Not bad with 4x6 pre-cut. Spending more up front with refillable tanks seemed more cost effective than replacing cartridges.

Using the Epson app, I printed from my Android smartphone and iPad for the first time ever. Easy peasy, where have I been the last decade?

All wireless, the Epson is not even in the same room as my main decade old PC. I removed the print server and reconnected the LaserJet via USB so now I'm back and improved.

My 3 teens are happy for the new capability. I hope we use it enough to justify the cost.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom