need new sports lens

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by phecksel, May 5, 2007.

1. I know this isn't the lens lust forum...but this lens would be for outdoor school sports

As I see it my choices are
    Nikkor 70-200 VR
    Sigma 70-200

Well today, the sigma rep suggested considering the 80-400 OS
    and then a friend about my sigma 120-300...That's a BFL! It's just back from Sigma after a tuneup, and he never uses it. He claims to have used it strictly hand held for as long as two soccer games.

My Sigma 70-300, while a sharp copy, just doesn't focus fast enough for my needs.

I'm going to have a tough time convincing SWMBO that I need to spend $1k, much less almost $2k.

What say my highly skilled sports friends?
  2. What sports do you plan on shooting?
    I own the Sigma 70-200 Macro version and I love it, though for some sports 200 might be a little short for some sports.
  3. koolk2

Sep 9, 2006
    I use the Sigma 120-300 for LL baseball. Just got back from shooting the Opening Day at our field. Even using a monopod my shoulders hurt from holding the camera/lens all day. Plus unless you have very good lens technique you'll have a hard time shooting sharp handheld. I use a 70-200 for T-ball and find it more than adequate.
  4. mikeyd86

mikeyd86 Guest

As an alternative to the 70-200, you might want to consider the older Nikon 80-200 AF or AFS, non-VR.
  5. I used the 120-300 today for little league. I use a monopod and find it an excellent lens.

6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I use an 80-400 VR for surf kites and surfing
    Not tried any other sports so low light might be a prob with this lens.
    Daylight would be fine
  7. Nice shot Rich!

Can you use it without a monopod? I don't see a monopod working most of the time.
  8. You may also want to take a look at a used 80-200 2.8. It lacks VR but it is very fast to focus and it is razor sharp. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It is the only lens I use for my dog agility shots. Here is the thread in case you missed it:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

I found the price mentioned for the newly reconditioned 120-300 acceptable. Maybe a little high, but acceptable. SWMBO will have a coronary, LOL..."you want to spend HOW MUCH"

The 80-200 was on the original list, and figured I would wait until next spring b4 buying something. My photo desires are moving beyond the 70-300...time to step into bigger leagues. Funny thing, I don't have camera lust...yet. I love the D50, and it does 99% of what I want it to do. Maybe by the time the D5x comes out, I'll be ready to upgrade body, LOL
  10. robthorn

robthorn Guest

man that kid has a big swing. nice shot
  11. Frankly, no. In engineeringspeak you have three axes of rotation: about the vertical, rotation about the enter of the lens and rotation about a line parallel to your shoulders (roughly). Of the three the greatest is the last; countered by either a tripod, monopod, a support of some natural or man-made material your body's muscles. I've shot some sports, birds, people, and lots of nature, animals, landscape and architecture. Aside from a very rare prohibition against them I've almost always been able to use a monopod. Muscles just don't work effectively countering the relentless effects of gravity.

12. :biggrin:
    Thanks. I was pressed up against the chain link fence of the LL field clutching the monopod and cross bar. But I also find that a couple strips of double-sided velcro tape in the pocket can facilitate an impromptu "tripod." :wink:

The catcher is my grandson.

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

120-300 end of story .... the 200 wont have enough reach ... but is a GREAT lens.....
  14. ipsofacto

ipsofacto Guest

A 300 2.8 is the perfect. A 120-300 would be great too. Alot of the dads where I shoot at home say a 300 or a 400 is "too long" but its pretty much inadequacy in their ability to keep the action in frame, and in focus.
  15. Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
  16. Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    If your friend has the 120-300, just tell him you want to borrow it from time to time...just remember to drop off a 6 pack when you pick it up from him. :biggrin: