Need Night-Heron ID and image opinions

G

Gordon Large

Guest
Harris Brown, a very good birder and friend who I've been trying to get to join the Cafe (Harris - Are you out there?), and I were at the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, NJ last Sunday. This Night-Heron put on a wonderful runway model routine for us. Only problem - the runway was waaaaay out there. I shot with a TC-14 and 200 -400VR on my D2x and used only 2.1MP with my crop. I think Harris used a 500/4 plus TC-14 on a D70. Two questions:

Is this a Yellow-crowned or Black-crowned? Harris thinks it is a second year Yellow-crowned. Me...well I think that it's a Night-Heron. :lol:

Which image has the most realistic color? We obviously got very different white balances.

Here is Harris' image, posted with permission under his copyright -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Here is mine -

View attachment 12788

Thanks for your feedback!

Gordon
 
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,985
Location
Orlando, Florida
Hey Gordon, can't help with the id. I'm still learning the adults! ;)

I think the "correct" wb should be inbetween these 2 shots. In yours, the wood looks yellow but in his it's almost green but the beak looks too blue.

No offense intended, but the 500/f4 shot looks much clearer/cleaner than the 200-400, which isn't bad in itself. Maybe I should let the lld set in on the 500? Wonder if my old-buddy-old-pal Harry B is out there...hmmmm
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Kevin Scott said:
No offense intended, but the 500/f4 shot looks much clearer/cleaner than the 200-400, which isn't bad in itself. Maybe I should let the lld set in on the 500? Wonder if my old-buddy-old-pal Harry B is out there...hmmmm
Hey Kevin -

I'm not going to comment on people's comments until everyone gets to take their shot. But I admit there are times when I wish I could steal my 500/4 back from Harry B........ :( And maybe next time I'll have my TC-17 mounted?

Gordon
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
2,296
Location
Ohio & Florida
Hi Gordon,

I will also lean toward the Juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron ID. Looking very closely at the Sibley Book, The YCNH should have thin white edges on wing feathers (like your photo), while the BCNH has large white spots there.
The YCNH has a longer neck and longer legs than the BCNH. You don't have a side-by-side comparison here, but the yours is certainly demonstrating a long neck and long looking legs.
Also the BCNH should have some yellow on its beak, which I don't see here.
Just my best guess,
Bob
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
bobhoge said:
I will also lean toward the Juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron ID. Looking very closely at the Sibley Book, The YCNH should have thin white edges on wing feathers (like your photo), while the BCNH has large white spots there.
The YCNH has a longer neck and longer legs than the BCNH. You don't have a side-by-side comparison here, but the yours is certainly demonstrating a long neck and long looking legs.
Also the BCNH should have some yellow on its beak, which I don't see here.
Just my best guess,
Bob
Sounds pretty compelling to me!

Gordon
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Gordon,

Can't help with the ID, but I agree with Kevin that the correct WB is probably between the two shots. What were the settings each of you used?

Both are nice images BTW. :wink:
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
4,507
Location
Haverhill, MA
Re: WB

I've gotten accustomed to shooting my WB manually in K.

Shooting sunrise / sunsets, I'm shooting anywhere from 6300 and up, depending on the color of the sky / clouds combination on any given day.

For early mrorning or late evening (just after sunrise, just before sunset) I'm shooting 6300.

Once the sun is up or before it sets ( an hour either side) I'm shooting 5900.

I then progress from 5600 to 5300 as the sun gets higer / brighter.

If it's cloudy, I'm shooting 5900. 5800 seems to be where I'd really like to be.

All od these I adjust in processing, however, I find that these values get me really close much of the time.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Re: WB

jfenton said:
I've gotten accustomed to shooting my WB manually in K.

Shooting sunrise / sunsets, I'm shooting anywhere from 6300 and up, depending on the color of the sky / clouds combination on any given day.

For early morning or late evening (just after sunrise, just before sunset) I'm shooting 6300.

Once the sun is up or before it sets ( an hour either side) I'm shooting 5900.

I then progress from 5600 to 5300 as the sun gets higher / brighter.

If it's cloudy, I'm shooting 5900. 5800 seems to be where I'd really like to be.

All of these I adjust in processing, however, I find that these values get me really close much of the time.
These are the exact settings that I use, and I also often find myself adjusting from a shooting setting of 5900 down towards 5800 (wish there was a 5800 setting).
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Flew said:
Gordon,

Can't help with the ID, but I agree with Kevin that the correct WB is probably between the two shots. What were the settings each of you used?

Both are nice images BTW. :wink:
Hey Frank -

We both used Auto White Balance. Go figure. I did some checks using the Set Gray Balance feature of Capture. First I set the matrix pointer on the white side feathers. No noticeable change. Then I set the pointer on the pupils of the birds eyes. No noticeable change. I concur with the folks who think that reality is between the two images, but I personally think it's closer to mine. Don't know what Harris thinks. My opinion may be prejudiced by the fact that I generally prefer warm images.

Gordon
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Re: WB

jfenton said:
All od these I adjust in processing, however, I find that these values get me really close much of the time.
Hi Jim -

And you certainly get great results using this method! If I'm reading this right, you get close with your camera K settings and then adjust to where you think you ought to be in processing. (I assume in RAW.) If Auto WB usually gets close to the mark (which IMO opinion it generally does) and then I fine tune in processing, there shouldn't be any difference (other than our personal color preferences), right? In fact, couldn't you get exactly the same results with one K setting for all shots and then adjust in processing? (That's a theoretical question; obviously this would require more work and be more subject to significant error.)

Gordon
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Hey everyone -

We still have only two opinions (Harris' and Bob's) about whether this is a Yellow-crowned or Black-crowned Night-Heron. Anybody else have an opinion? Come on, all you experts! :wink:

Gordon
 
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
399
Location
Weaverville, California
Gordon Large said:
Hey everyone -

We still have only two opinions (Harris' and Bob's) about whether this is a Yellow-crowned or Black-crowned Night-Heron. Anybody else have an opinion? Come on, all you experts! :wink:

Gordon
OK, I'll bite. I vote for juvenile yellow-crowned 'cause of the all dark bill. However, I'm not betting my next paycheck on it. If you had shot these out here in N. California where I live, I'd vote the other way :lol:
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Gordon,

I have to agree, inbetween the two for WB...

I have noticed, cameras, even of the same kind may render different color rendering. No I don't know why.

My D100 is way to red...

So it is going to nikon soon for complest tune up and what ever adjusting it needs and through cleaning...


Grrr out of warrenty. So gotta save some pennies.
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Gale said:
Gordon,

I have to agree, inbetween the two for WB...

I have noticed, cameras, even of the same kind may render different color rendering. No I don't know why.
Hi Gale -

I agree, I don't think any two same make and model cameras produce exactly the same white balance. What is strange is that this image came out of my camera warmer than usual. Go figure.

Gordon
 
G

Gordon Large

Guest
Thos Quinn said:
OK, I'll bite. I vote for juvenile yellow-crowned 'cause of the all dark bill. However, I'm not betting my next paycheck on it. If you had shot these out here in N. California where I live, I'd vote the other way :lol:
Thanks for stepping to the plate! I guess it's unanimous. Case closed.

Gordon
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom