Need Night-Heron ID and image opinions

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Harris Brown, a very good birder and friend who I've been trying to get to join the Cafe (Harris - Are you out there?), and I were at the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, NJ last Sunday. This Night-Heron put on a wonderful runway model routine for us. Only problem - the runway was waaaaay out there. I shot with a TC-14 and 200 -400VR on my D2x and used only 2.1MP with my crop. I think Harris used a 500/4 plus TC-14 on a D70. Two questions:

Is this a Yellow-crowned or Black-crowned? Harris thinks it is a second year Yellow-crowned. Me...well I think that it's a Night-Heron. :lol:

Which image has the most realistic color? We obviously got very different white balances.

Here is Harris' image, posted with permission under his copyright -

Here is mine -

View attachment 12788

Thanks for your feedback!

Gordon

2. Hey Gordon, can't help with the id. I'm still learning the adults! ;)

I think the "correct" wb should be inbetween these 2 shots. In yours, the wood looks yellow but in his it's almost green but the beak looks too blue.

No offense intended, but the 500/f4 shot looks much clearer/cleaner than the 200-400, which isn't bad in itself. Maybe I should let the lld set in on the 500? Wonder if my old-buddy-old-pal Harry B is out there...hmmmm

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin -

I'm not going to comment on people's comments until everyone gets to take their shot. But I admit there are times when I wish I could steal my 500/4 back from Harry B........ :( And maybe next time I'll have my TC-17 mounted?

Gordon

4. Hi Gordon,

I will also lean toward the Juvenile Yellow-crowned Night Heron ID. Looking very closely at the Sibley Book, The YCNH should have thin white edges on wing feathers (like your photo), while the BCNH has large white spots there.
    The YCNH has a longer neck and longer legs than the BCNH. You don't have a side-by-side comparison here, but the yours is certainly demonstrating a long neck and long looking legs.
    Also the BCNH should have some yellow on its beak, which I don't see here.
    Just my best guess,
    Bob

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Sounds pretty compelling to me!

Gordon

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

Can't help with the ID, but I agree with Kevin that the correct WB is probably between the two shots. What were the settings each of you used?

Both are nice images BTW. :wink:

7. I liek yours better since I tend to liek warm images, his seems to have a blueish tint to it.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Re: WB

I've gotten accustomed to shooting my WB manually in K.

Shooting sunrise / sunsets, I'm shooting anywhere from 6300 and up, depending on the color of the sky / clouds combination on any given day.

For early mrorning or late evening (just after sunrise, just before sunset) I'm shooting 6300.

Once the sun is up or before it sets ( an hour either side) I'm shooting 5900.

I then progress from 5600 to 5300 as the sun gets higer / brighter.

If it's cloudy, I'm shooting 5900. 5800 seems to be where I'd really like to be.

All od these I adjust in processing, however, I find that these values get me really close much of the time.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama

These are the exact settings that I use, and I also often find myself adjusting from a shooting setting of 5900 down towards 5800 (wish there was a 5800 setting).

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank -

We both used Auto White Balance. Go figure. I did some checks using the Set Gray Balance feature of Capture. First I set the matrix pointer on the white side feathers. No noticeable change. Then I set the pointer on the pupils of the birds eyes. No noticeable change. I concur with the folks who think that reality is between the two images, but I personally think it's closer to mine. Don't know what Harris thinks. My opinion may be prejudiced by the fact that I generally prefer warm images.

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Jim -

And you certainly get great results using this method! If I'm reading this right, you get close with your camera K settings and then adjust to where you think you ought to be in processing. (I assume in RAW.) If Auto WB usually gets close to the mark (which IMO opinion it generally does) and then I fine tune in processing, there shouldn't be any difference (other than our personal color preferences), right? In fact, couldn't you get exactly the same results with one K setting for all shots and then adjust in processing? (That's a theoretical question; obviously this would require more work and be more subject to significant error.)

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey everyone -

We still have only two opinions (Harris' and Bob's) about whether this is a Yellow-crowned or Black-crowned Night-Heron. Anybody else have an opinion? Come on, all you experts! :wink:

Gordon

13. OK, I'll bite. I vote for juvenile yellow-crowned 'cause of the all dark bill. However, I'm not betting my next paycheck on it. If you had shot these out here in N. California where I live, I'd vote the other way :lol:

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

I have to agree, inbetween the two for WB...

I have noticed, cameras, even of the same kind may render different color rendering. No I don't know why.

My D100 is way to red...

So it is going to nikon soon for complest tune up and what ever adjusting it needs and through cleaning...

Grrr out of warrenty. So gotta save some pennies.

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

I agree, I don't think any two same make and model cameras produce exactly the same white balance. What is strange is that this image came out of my camera warmer than usual. Go figure.

Gordon

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks for stepping to the plate! I guess it's unanimous. Case closed.

Gordon