Need opinion of the Gitzo G1320 tripod

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Greg, May 22, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Well, since I started buying Nikon goodies I created a tripod problem. My tripod from hell (survey grade) is good for location shots and any place you don't have to move to far or often. My Cullman tripod isn't heavy enough or stable enough to handle the D2H, Tc and 300 2.8 with the bogen gimbal mount.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gitzo G-1320? It appears to be heavy duty enough to handle this gear.

Opinions and other recommendations would be appreciated.

2. I don't know about the 1320, but I have a 1325 with the leveling base and love it.

3. I also have the G1325 and it is fabulous. I've used my 200-400 VR mounted on the Wimberly Sidekick and my Arca Swiss Ball Head and the combination has been excellent with my D100 at Bosque Del Apache and more recently with my D2X. Spend the extra money for the 1325; you won't regret it!!

Bernie

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I have to agree ,I also have a 1325. ITs great. I got a leveling plate ,but never used it , its still in the box,got the markins ball head instead.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

I have to agree on the 1325. It is everything that I ever dreamed of in a tripod. Strong as hell, relatively light, and oh, so simple (no center column to add weight). With the big Wimberley (and with your Bogen gymbol mount), you don't have to extend the bottom section legs but 5 or 6 inches, which makes it even more stable.

It ain't cheap, but it is good. 8)

6. how tall are you greg? this makes a difference in your selection. I use a 1348 because I am 6'4" tall. a 1325 would dissapoint me.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    That's a good point about height. I have the 1325 and I'm 5'9" but if I were 6'4" I'd be in trouble with it...... glad you brought this into the conversation.

Gaye

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    great info folks. Dave, I'm 6 foot even. I've seen Franks set up and it looks just a bit short for me. I think I'm going to go with the 1348. That will allow me a lot of extension for uneven ground and more stability on level ground by not having to extend the smaller legs.

thanks bunches folks.

9. Based on your hieght, that is a wise choice.

10. Hi all,

I'm also looking into this purchase. I'm about 5-10 and was considering the 1348 because I live in the hills and mountains of BC. I always seem to need to extend one leg further to get anywhere near level.:) I am planning on buying the Acratech + Wimberley sidekick for a head. Am I on the right track here, or, do you think I could get away with a 1525?

11. Dennis,
    I assume you meant 1325. If so you can probably do very well with that at you hieght. the extra that the 1348 gives for the terrain issues is worth it tho. That gives you an extra leg section for when you need it.

12. Thanks, Dave. Yes I meant 1325 - no need for the "giant".

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

I have the bottom section of the 1325 almost completely collapsed, because I like my tripod very low. It is actually 17+ inches taller (I just measured it....;-)) if you extend the bottom section all the way.

14. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Frank, the 1348 will be here Thursday. Based on the rocks we were shooting on Sunday more will definately be better. thanks for the info though.