Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by banzaisteve, Jul 26, 2007.

1. So I've been debating on getting a new lens for a while now. I have a D50 and use the 18-55 really. I bought a 55-200, but never got around to using it so I'm trying to sell it. Anyway, so I searched a little and came across this little lens. Seen some good photos come out of this lens on a couple threads. Is it really worth the $120? I don't want to get it and not use it. So anyone with it, post up :Tongue:

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. For sure, if the 50mm focal length suit your shooting style/habbits, then by all means.

Its one of the cheapest Nikkors but its great performer, in fact its terrific from F/2,8 and up.

Optically its great, build ok for a cheap piece of glass.

Here is snap @ F/13

As you can see it does not handle backlight that well (flare) Even though in this shot it was intentional.

3. Yeah, I usually shoot closer. I used a 70-300 and didn't like it as much as I thought I would, so I tend to stay closer when I shoot. So definently worth the money?

4. Yup if you like the focal lenght its more then worth it. It can be used with a reversed mounting ring for macro aswell.

5. Awesome, think I'll pick it up soon then. :D

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Look at it like this Steve, if you get it and don't like it, you can sell it for about $90. That's like renting it indefinitely for thirty bucks. Some folks swear by them, others never use them. The best way to tell which group you are in is to use it and see how it likes you.

(Added after your post above:) Be sure and post some of your pics when you do!

7. What Chris said! I think you'll like it, I wouldn't choose it as an only lens, but I think it's fun, inexpensive and a nice low light performer.

8. Never saw it like that haha. Will post pics after I get me one :D.

Oh yeah, definently won't be only lens. Honestly, I like the 18-55 lens. It's perfect for what I usually shoot, so hopefully the 50 will be just as great.

9. I've been trying to decide between this lens and the 18-70. Glad to get an honest opinion. I might pick one up if I can find one cheap enough.