Need Point And Shoot Reccomendations For My Wife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and an associated lung disease and can no longer handle her D300 and would like a good point and shoot.

Something with a decent zoom, excellent IQ, IS I suppose if possible and something which doesn't require 10 seconds to shoot the image after you press the shutter button.

Is there anything specifically you folks might recommend?

It will be for casual landscapes, people and perhaps a flower of neat pile of rocks along the shore some times...nothing horribly high tech.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Price isn't a huge concern.

2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    My dad recently got the Nikon S600 and really likes it. It's about the size of a deck of cards and is super fast at startup. It has the VR system built in as well. I'm going to get one for myself to carry in my shirt pocket for when I don't want to haul around all my expensive stuff.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like what I see in the Canon G9, it may not be a Nikon, but it sure does capture nice images.

4. We have had a few of the Canon "A" series and find them to be excellent.
    I've also tried out a few other brands of P&S and came back to the Canon.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Not sure if the weight is an issue, or using the optical viewfinder. But have you considered a D40? Compared to a D300 it is pretty much a compact!

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

I'm a big fan of the Canon Elph series. I had the first one out of the gate, the S100, and it was a tank. Durable, decent IQ (for the time), and good battery life. Subsequent models have improved on the IQ a fair bit, as well as some features, although the body durability isn't quite as good as the early ones.

Doesn't shoot RAW, however.

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.