1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need referral for camera insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Transmit, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. I'm rapidly building up an expensive bag of goodies and looking to get insurance coverge. The main caveat I have right now is I'm living on the road so can't get homeowner's or renter's insurance to cover my equipment and I also need worldwide coverage. Any recommendations for a good policy and/or provider?

  2. obelix


    Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
  3. This doesn't work. I spoke with State Farm about their Personal Articles policy and I was told you MUST have State Farm Homeowners insurance. This is an additional policy to cover items not covered under the home owners rider.

    I'm in the same situation. I have an independant agent looking for possible coverage for me, but so far no luck. If anyone knows a solution to this problem, please post or contact me. It's a very high priority I have to get this gear covered without Homeowners insurance.
  4. obelix


    Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA

    I rent a home and I have renters insurance through MetLife.

    I only have Personal Articles Insurance through State Farm.

    If you are interested, I can give the contact info of my Agent.
  5. Try this site:


    It's pro insurance but it covers all losses with a $500 deductible. I went with pro since I do paid work and if I have it loss it will be my luck that it's on the road on a paid gig. :) 
  6. Sure, anything is worth a shot. I would very much appreciate that contact info if you don't mind.

    The only other solution I found is to go through NANPA. A $90/year membership fee as a requisite and then an "all-risk" worldwide coverage for $2.30 per $100 insured, $350 minimum, $250 deductable with items under $500 automatically included without the need to have them scheduled. This sounds like a fair deal to me, but if I could get the Personal Articles coverage I think it would be cheaper, especially minus the membership fee, wich is annual.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  7. obelix


    Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Here you go.


    This has her phone number as well. Her email is paulina.mcdonald.cyy2@statefarm.com,

    fwiw, I dropped *all* my gear 3 weeks ago and had to spend $560 to get them all fixed. StateFarm reimbursed every penny once I produced the correct repair invoices. Good luck.

  8. jfrancis


    May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
  9. obelix


    Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
  10. JamesMor


    Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Try Hill and Usher. They handle my professional insurance. Having said that, they will not cover my equipment here in NY (they do for my friend across the pond in NJ)...so check.

    My camera equipment is covered by Travelers (part of Citibank). Even though they are a conglomerate, I have never had anything but positive experiences with them - including a time when my identitiy had been stolen.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.