Need Sanibel Area FLA Info (Place to stay)

My wife and I are heading to Florida on 2/13 and since we've never been to the west coast, we'd like to spend a couple of days (2-3) at Sanibel / /Ding Darling etc. Much of my time early and late in the day will be spent shooting and we'll also lounge on the beach, collect shells, etc., during the day.

Does anyone know of anyplace in the area or within reasonable driving distance (20 miles) that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to stay? All we need is a bed, a bathroom and some power.

Thanks in Advance...

Jim and Jeanie Fenton

Jim,

Check out this link. It is right off of Summerlin Rd (it's where we stayed for Ron's class in 11/2004), and about 2.5 miles from Sanibel.

Hotel

Jim,

One really cool thing about this location -- the road that turns off of Summerlin (John Morris Rd) goes right down to the beach, and has some spectacular shooting, particularly if you walk about 1/8 miles North on the beach to the little inlet. I got some excellent Osprey and tons of wader shots there. :smile:

14491342-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

J

JMartin

jfenton said:
Thanks for the info pal...just booked a room for 3 nights :)

Excellent Jim!

When do you plan on being down at Sanibel? Is this a business trip or just for pleasure? I know there are some Florida shooters in the area you might be able to scare up to shoot with.

I like the Guest House at Shell Point. Their email is GuestHouse@shellpoint.org. You take a right on Shell Point Blvd. off Summerlin not too far before you go across the causeway to Sanibel. It's a 'motel' at a retirement village. Last year I paid $112.82/night for just myself with AAA discount. It's nice, clean and quiet. Not much going on. You can go to the resort web site and surf around to find about the place. http://www.shellpoint.org.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Glad you found a place to stay. Now don't forget to try the hot dogs and the hamburgers at Schnapper's - right on the main drag on the way toward Ding. (Periwinkle Way).

GREAT lunch joint - zero atmosphere, terrific chow. Not for those looking for elegant eats.

By the way - if you have the time, don't forget to visit Corkscrew Swamp Preserve a short drive south of Ft, Meyers toward Naples. Good photo ops - especially if you are into birds.

yeah Frank waist deep in water with is rig was a sight. :cool:

Flew said:
Jim,

One really cool thing about this location -- the road that turns off of Summerlin (John Morris Rd) goes right down to the beach, and has some spectacular shooting, particularly if you walk about 1/8 miles North on the beach to the little inlet. I got some excellent Osprey and tons of wader shots there. :smile:

14491342-L.jpg

Backdoctor said:
yeah Frank waist deep in water with is rig was a sight. :cool:

And since we're talking about it, here's a look at him in the very same spot he was referring to (I'm pretty sure):

original.gif

Thanks for the memories, Frank. :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom