Need scanner recommendations

I need some scanner recommendations. I have some 30 yrs of film that includes color prints and BW prints and slides. All the photos were taken by my father ( he passed away a few yrs back). Anyway I want to scan select images. There are both 35mm and MF to scan. All the MF film is 120mm i believe. What are my scanner options since i want to scan both 35mm and MF? Also can MF slides be scanned? Thanks

Flatbeds can generally scan anything. Depending on what quality you're after an Epson V500 might be fine. I think you'd need to be very selective with what you scan though... A couple of rolls once in a while is fine, but I recently backed out of a similar project. It took half a day to go through a box (I guess two rolls worth) of slides (and don't even start about dust). I found it too slow and laborious to be any fun, and the idea of sticking with it for over a year did not appeal: I have my own photography to spend time on.
But hey, that's me. As long as you're selective, pre-set everything and preview slides outside the scanner, Epsons are nice. Don't know if Nikon Coolscans are any faster, but they're better and more expensive. Perhaps there is something available that offers more in the way of automation?

Bit of a sidenote, but I've read too much nonsense about scanning photos to preserve them (not from you, but in general). Digital files are not for archiving! It does not work: you will need to keep transferring them to other storage as harddrives die, get outdated etc (and don't even think about DVDs). Each time risking corruption and loss. And in ten years time you may or may not be able to open the format. Documents and photos are printed, then archived.
Perhaps it's a good idea to look through the prints you have, find the negatives, and let someone make some new, shiny, huge enlargements? Or do you have a goal in mind, like printing a book of selected shots? That'd be nice to work towards... just thinking aloud here...

Thanks for advice. I am looking for some way of preserving some of these images. For example there are 2 boxes aof slides taken by my father with TLR Rollei when my folks were in switzeland some 20 yrs ago. The colors ont he slides are still amazing but some slides have fungus on them. I want some way of preserving these memories.

From what you are saying digital archiving may not be the way to go. Also what if there are no negs?

Also one reason digitizing appealed to me is that then i can do what i wish with the file e.g a book, collages etc.

Real Name
Chris
Most flatbeds can deliver a 8 to 16 megapixel file from 35mm film (rationalizing that a flatbed's resolution is empty magnification after about 2400-3200 ppi.) A Coolscan 5000 will make a 23 megapixel file from the same negative. However the dedicated scanner costs more than the flatbed, and is less versatile.

The colors ont he slides are still amazing but some slides have fungus on them. I want some way of preserving these memories.

Now that's different.. That could be a case for scanning: you could scan those, retouch out the fungus, and then get some nice prints made. But I'd look into cleaning them, perhaps by starthing here.

From what you are saying digital archiving may not be the way to go. Also what if there are no negs?

Well, Chris got that. :smile:

Also one reason digitizing appealed to me is that then i can do what i wish with the file e.g a book, collages etc.

Hey that's a great goal. I'm not really trying to discourage you. Just saying scanning a strip of film at any useful resolution takes longer than you might want to sit around and wait for, and too short to really do anything else in the meantime if you want to make some progress. So I would break it up into seperate projects with tangible endresults that you can put on the coffee table, like making a book of Switzerland Rolleiflex slides.

I just picked up an Epsone V750 (I couldn't help it, it was on sale for 40% off). So far I'm very pleased with it, image quality is excellent, and it scans noticeably faster than the Canoscans I had been using.

i was deciding between epson v500 and canon 8800f and after reading all of the reviews i pulled a trigger on the canon and couldnt be happier. definately best bang for the buck. all of the film shots that i post are scanned thru it.

I got the Epson because it can handle film up to 8x10. My old Canoscan (8400) would do 35mm, 120, and 35mm slides, but nothing more. I couldn't just lay the film on the scan bed and scan, the holders were required to make it work right. Holders for MF slides were not included. I don't believe these holders are included with the newer model Canoscans either.

With the Epson I can scan without using the holders, which means it will work with anything from 110 (or smaller) to 8x10.

I've the v500. It is great to preview, internet posts, and costco prints.

Anything else I send the selected slides to B&M.

I got the Epson because it can handle film up to 8x10. My old Canoscan (8400) would do 35mm, 120, and 35mm slides, but nothing more. I couldn't just lay the film on the scan bed and scan, the holders were required to make it work right. Holders for MF slides were not included. I don't believe these holders are included with the newer model Canoscans either.

With the Epson I can scan without using the holders, which means it will work with anything from 110 (or smaller) to 8x10.

mine came with 120 holders and with vuescan you can scan any format including large format

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom