Need some advice, please!

Real Name
Carl
Hey, all;
I want to do some cold-weather photography This year. :) My problem is I have Diabetic Neuropathy in my feet. For a while, I thought I was becoming acclimatized to cold weather...but, I just didn't feel my feet getting cold! :sick: I wear size 15 shoes and boots. I bought a pair of G.I. medium cold weather boots...the kind that has booties inside, but, I'd like some wool socks,too. My Good Lady Wife bought me three pairs of beautiful thick wool socks a couple of years ago. Size XL supposed to fit 15+ a little more, and after I washed them one time (in cold water, and hang to dry) they are so tight, it cuts off some circulation to my feet. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer of wool socks that are perhaps a bit generous in size, and won't shrink too much?
Thanx!

Real Name
Ken
I used to love Smartwool socks (and really like their glove liners), but the heels always wear way too quickly. For winter socks, I would give Thorlo or Wigwam a try. Fits and Sockwell make compression socks that are nice if you like that kind of sock.

Good luck,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Have a look also at REI (www.rei.com). They, and their outlet, are real experts when it comes to outdoor attire.

(Although I don't shop the stores much as they have sizes for "healthy" people ... the website even has a lot of "big & tall" options!)

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I second the recommendation of Thor Lo and Wigwam socks. And REI is a great source! I've shot in Iceland and Yellowstone in winter......-15°. I use insulated boots by Sorel with a liner that pulls out so it can dry out. I use one thick pair of socks and one thin pair. Good luck!

I’ve worm Wigwams for decades, summer and winter and never had circulatory problems. I believe they make diabetic socks for colder weather use. Very soft merino wool blend.

Real Name
Ken
I have heard that the best way to stop feet getting cold is to wear a decent hat - we lose a lot of heat through our heads - some more than others :D
We do lose heat through our heads and wearing a hat and keeping our core (chest) warm are important for staying warm, but there are other factors that influence whether we are warm or cold. Good circulation can also play a big part in keeping warm, and sometimes health conditions make that a bit tougher. I have a number of health issues that make it difficult to stay warm in my hands and feet during the winter, and I still have not got it all figured out. It is less of an issue than it used to be, but it is still a challenge without a definitive approach to preventing me from getting cold when I am out in the winter. I would encourage the OP to try a number of solutions and see what combination works best. Hat wearing would certainly be on my recommended list, along with socks that work, but what else is needed may will probably be discovered through trial and error.

--Ken

We do lose heat through our heads and wearing a hat and keeping our core (chest) warm are important for staying warm, but there are other factors that influence whether we are warm or cold. Good circulation can also play a big part in keeping warm, and sometimes health conditions make that a bit tougher. I have a number of health issues that make it difficult to stay warm in my hands and feet during the winter, and I still have not got it all figured out. It is less of an issue than it used to be, but it is still a challenge without a definitive approach to preventing me from getting cold when I am out in the winter. I would encourage the OP to try a number of solutions and see what combination works best. Hat wearing would certainly be on my recommended list, along with socks that work, but what else is needed may will probably be discovered through trial and error.

--Ken
Yep, my wife has Raynauds which means her hands can be freezing on a warm day.

Real Name
Ken
Yep, my wife has Raynauds which means her hands can be freezing on a warm day.
I can sympathize as I have Reynauds in my hands and some neuropathy in my feet (chemotherapy- the gift that keeps on giving :rolleyes:) . And like your wife, my hands can lose circulation from the most mundane of temperature drops. It can be both painful and make handling a camera difficult, especially the shutter, and it is often hard to get the circulation back into my hands. But, if I can, it sometimes stays away for the rest of my time outside if I can keep them slightly warm. That was why I mentioned circulation being an issue.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Good socks and a good pair of insulated boots that are waterproof in the lower part of the boot.
If you can keep your feet dry they will stay warm.
A pair like this would be ideal as almost the entire boot is waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/Kamik-Mens-Hunter-M-Snow-Black/dp/B00HT1TLAI?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
You'll see a lot out there where mainly the lower part is waterproof.
I tried out a pair last winter and returned them for a pair of Vasque insulated snow boots. I know there is a big following for Kamik boots, and I was tempted to keep them for the price alone, but there were a number of features that I did not care for. There is no support for your feet and that was difficult for me as I often stand in boots for hours at a time when photographing eagles or snow geese. Amazon let me try them and return them with no charge and I took them up on the offer. For something like a winter boot, I would never buy without a return privilege. I believe that I tried about four or five different pair of boots before settling on the Vasque. I think that the Kamik are worth a look, especially if you are on a tight budget, but I would also encourage looking at others as well.

We had a long discussion on Amin's sister forums here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/insulated-waterproof-winter-boots.106990/ .

--Ken

Hey, all;
I want to do some cold-weather photography This year. :) My problem is I have Diabetic Neuropathy in my feet. For a while, I thought I was becoming acclimatized to cold weather...but, I just didn't feel my feet getting cold! :sick: I wear size 15 shoes and boots. I bought a pair of G.I. medium cold weather boots...the kind that has booties inside, but, I'd like some wool socks,too. My Good Lady Wife bought me three pairs of beautiful thick wool socks a couple of years ago. Size XL supposed to fit 15+ a little more, and after I washed them one time (in cold water, and hang to dry) they are so tight, it cuts off some circulation to my feet. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer of wool socks that are perhaps a bit generous in size, and won't shrink too much?
Thanx!
Not wool socks but Damart Thermolactyl are designed to warm up the body.
They do underwear and socks.
I love them in the cold winter.
https://m.damart.fr/F-10019-chausse...s-de-chaussettes-maille-moulinee-thermolactyl

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom