Need some advice quick!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jim Strathearn, Dec 29, 2005.

1. As some of you may know, Nikon decided to replace my D70 after being in for service the third time. BTW, it was out of warranty all three times so I was rather impressed. Well, I got my replacement camera today and it's already broke. :mad: The top LCD display doesn't display all the data. The top portion of the last digit for frames left does not work, the preset and auto WB icons do not display, the "L" for large size does not display and the word "Basic" for pic quality does not display. It is an earlier build camera then my other D70 that I purchased in April so I'm not all that confident that this camera will be trouble-free either. (The one they replaced was purchased the first day they were available in the states. Early build D70's seem to have issues; BGLOD, ERR, etc.)

I am very appreciative for them replacing the camera, but I'd like one that works! :rolleyes: I certainly don't want to start the repair cycle all over again! I'm going to call them Friday and ask them what my options are, but at this point I think I'd like to have a later build D70 or a D70s. Should I offer to pay them something to upgrade me to the s?

Any suggestions before I call?

Thanks!

2. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    All replacement sets should be refurbished, ie DOA or totally damaged sets, returned to factory for repair, then sent out again to be exchanged at service centres for sets unrepairable. So not surprising the set you got might have been an early batch as early as your original body.

I'm not too sure if you can top up and get a replacement to a higher machine, but it's worth a try. I think Nikon's Service is pretty accomodating and willing to listen to complains.

Put it nicely and they might have a solution for you! :)

3. First thing I would do is to get on to the service center you dealt with via phone and demand to speak with the Service Manager. Explaing what is happening, I have had very good luck on a couple of repair issues this way in the past.

Good luck,

4. I have seen it happen...

I have been there when a guy was V E R Y unhappy...
    he walked out side and threw the camera and left..

counter worker said I was going to replace it even tho it was out of warranty and the repair was nearly the cost of new (point and shoot camera)

just do start demanding .... Your camera is broken... repairs 1, 2, 3....
    replacement camera ... Broken... as mad as you may be... ask for person in charge... if the counter person cant make it right

5. Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what happens next...

6. Closed for the New Year holiday until Tuesday! I was just going to let the camera sit until this was resolved but now I think I'll give it a workout and see if there is anything else wrong with it.

One more question:
    It still has the original 1.* firmware. Would you update it or leave it?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

7. Jim based on the display issues you mentioned, I would be inclined to leave the firmware as is until you have an agreement with NIkon. That actually can work in your favor in that quality assurance was not performed on that unit prior to them shipping it to you. I dont think there is any reason not to shoot with it though to determine all else is well. Just dont drop it in the Susquehanna river!
    Dave

8. Thanks Dave.

Well, it looks like we can add backfocus to the equation as well! I never really understood the backfocus thing as I've never experienced it before. But it looks like things behind my focus point are in focus while my focus area is soft. So if it looks like a duck and focuses like a duck...... :mad:

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Jim,

I would try to talk to the person who replaced the camera. Make a list of all issues you found with the replacement camera. Be appreciative of his/their effort when he/they replaced the camera.
    From the list of issues you found there is no use in having it repaired - ask for another replacement and ask them to check it first, if possible. You could also ask for a newer model, as you had enough trouble with your camera and don't want to go through the process again (with the problems of early production models).
    Only if that doesn't produce results would I ask for a superior.

In my opinion they handed/shipped you a broken camera by mistake. Mistakes are human and excusable, as long as they fix their mistake.

Good luck and a Happy New Year!

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Jim,
    There is no doubt in my mind that they will replace the camera for you. I would not offer to pay anything. A friend of mine in CA was given a D2HS after his D2H was not repaired after 3 attempts.

My 990 was in 3 times and they offered me a CP 5400 as a replacement. I turned it down and told them to either get me a new/refurb 990 or refurbish mine!! A week later my 990 was back in my hands and working like new.

I live near Nikon in NY... if you need any help I will personally take your camera there myself. Let me know. I know the place well :biggrin:

Don

11. very generous offer Don.

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    No problem Dave... I sort of like going there if you know what I mean :wink: Took this after one of my many trips to fix my 990.

Nikon.

Don

13. Thanks Heiko. I will remain level headed until this is resolved as I think it's the best approach.

14. Thanks Don! It's nice to know that the Calvary is waiting in the wings! :biggrin:

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You received great advice in this thread!

Nikon service (NY) replaced my D100 after 3 visits to service for the same intermittent problem. I was very polite but FIRM on the phone - called 2ce a day - and sent 4-5 emails a day. My problem was intermittent connection at contacts between lens and camera. After the 2nd repair the D100 returned from service with a dead white pixel in the middle of the images. I got mad at that.:mad: Nikon quickly replaced it.:smile:

They chose wisely. I was about to jump ship to the big C word. Because of this replacement, I since purchased 2) D70s, 2) D70s's, 1) D2X, 2) D200's, 2) Coolpix 8700's, and 2) Coolpix 8800's (and a lot of glass). I think Nikon made an excellent business decision, as they will with you.

Be sure to mention your association with the Nikon Cafe and reference your investment in Nikon Glass...

Good luck!!!:wink:

16. Thanks!

BTW, I always list my glass, and the fact that I have a second D70, in all my correspondence to the service department... :wink:

17. Update

Well, I called Nikon service today. They asked me to contact Nikon Digital support first to see if they could "jump start" this camera so I did. They could not fix the camera via resets, etc. So, Nikon Service issued me a UPS NDA label to return the camera. I explained to both techs that I did not want this camera, but I was advised to follow their standard repair procedures so I am. I am sending the camera body only back today with a note outlining my concerns over this particular replacement. I specifically told the tech in digital support that I wanted to return the entire box and he advised me not to, saying that Nikon service is real good, etc.

So, I'll send it out today and call them again tomorrow!

18. I found out today that it appears that Nikon is fixing that replacement camera and will send it back to me. I hope they send it out soon... :rolleyes:

19. matrix1272

matrix1272 Guest

I have always heard ( I haven't had to send anything in though) that Nikon was a little slow, but they would get the job done.

20. I hope so! I'm still waiting for my replacement to be returned to me...