Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by canuck4everr, Jun 18, 2007.

1. canuck4everr

canuck4everr

Aug 29, 2006
    :eek: Not sure if this the right forum to post this in.
    I just got a tc-1.4eII, tryed it out with the nikon 300f4 afs
    for the first time. Now all the pictures taken on this lake turned out with this verticle banding.
    also the colors are off , the loon should be black and white.
    im sure i had the sun shade pull out on the lense.
    any ideas?
    DSC_2308.

2. Logan

Logan Guest

may just be my monitor, but i dont see any vertical banding. (a lens wouldnt cause VB anyways... would it?) as for the color, when sun is hitting a crow or black bird or loon ion this case, it wont always be completely black, there is actually variance in colors so i dont think it weird for it to not be completely black and white... just my honest opinion, others may feel different...

edit, and if you really dont like the blue so intense on the loon you could always adjust it in PP...
    sfhsfhs.

3. that looks just like a loon up close and I don't see any color issues here.

4. canuck4everr

canuck4everr

Aug 29, 2006
    ok maybe not vertical banding, but a vertical sun flare of sorts. heres another example, the loon colors are correct here. I havnt changed colors in either photo. ty for helping here gang!!
    DSC_2317copy.

5. how about posting a shortcut to both photo w/out any PP. Did you have a polarizer on it, hood lens. looks just like a reflection on the water and not banding. will know more if I see originals.

6. the glare from the sun (reflection) in second pix can be used to your advantage by re-composing, framing, etc., the banding looks like ripples from Loon movement to me....

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Banding was the wrong word...
    Flare may be correct.
    Banding is a totally different thing.

Not sure on the first

Second looks like lighting from the sun which is actually pretty

8. Logan

Logan Guest

yea, thats definetly not banding. Just the way things get reflected in the water... nothing to be done there, unless you want to pp those out as well... heres my rough 5 minute edit to get rid of the sun glare... which i think makes it look more interesting and as ditto mentioned could be used to your advantage.

fjfg.

(ps, mind you i am no PS guru and much better results can be yielded with time by a lot of ppl)

9. WOW Logan you did a great job. Could you tell me how you processed the sun glare out? Thanks.

10. Logan

Logan Guest

i used the magic wand and selected several of the colored glares, adjusted hue and then used the heal tool set to darken and normal... like i said only about five minute... as i dont know my way around PS very well, just the basics... if you want a little more detailed shoot me a PM and ill send screen shots (if i can remember how to do them...?)

11. canuck4everr

canuck4everr

Aug 29, 2006
    nice work on the editing Logan.
    Seems my lens hood wasnt extended .

no polarizer was used.
    by pics are close to original, only slight exposure and contrast adjusted.

12. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Guest

I kind of like the sun's reflection as it gives a nice depth to the image. without the reflection, I'm losing the birds in the water.

Nice edit though Logan, I'm always interested to see how others handle challenges we all face as photographers...

Cheers,

Ian