Need some advice

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new lens. I am primarly looking for a lens to shoot candid photos of friends and family. Most of the photos would be taken indoors with no flash but some would also be taken outdoors. I am looking for a lens that would give me some range so that I do not have to get too close. I love my 50mm f/2.8 but that just makes me get too close. Some of the lenses that I have been looking at are the tamron 28-105 f/2.8, nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 (aka the beast i think), nikon 18-200mm vr (could have bought one a few weeks ago at the local shop but passed on it due to the mixed reviews and lack of fast glass.. was i right?), or some primes such as the 105 or 135. Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

Your list of glass seems to be lacking on the long end but then again, I don't know about your shooting subjects. I think the 18-200VR might be a good addition to your gear, or else the Nikon 105mm macro which could serve dual purpose.

I should have mentioned that I do use my brothers sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6, but I am not crazy about the images in low light. How is the 18-200vr in indoor situtations with low light?

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new lens.
I am primarly looking for a lens to shoot candid photos of friends and family.

>> this means a 50+ or 85+ lens

Most of the photos would be taken indoors with no flash but some would also be taken outdoors.

>> This means a 2.8 or faster lens.

I am looking for a lens that would give me some range so that I do not have to get too close. I love my 50mm f/2.8 but that just makes me get too close.

This means a 85-180 range; that's
Nikon 85 F1.8 (F1.4 much more expensive)
Tamron 90 F2.8 macro
Tokina 100 F2.8 macro
Sigma 105 F2.8 macro
Nikon 105 F2.8 VR macro
Nikon 105 F2 DC
Nikon 135 F2 DC (quite expensive)
Nikon 180 F2.8

The other options could be the Sigma 50-150 F2.8 HSM or 70-200 F2.8 HSM if you can't afford the 70/200 VR.

I'd just add that ANY of the lenses listed is enough good to satisfy you, it's just a matter of your preferences.

Some of the lenses that I have been looking at are the tamron 28-105 f/2.8, nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 (aka the beast i think), nikon 18-200mm vr (could have bought one a few weeks ago at the local shop but passed on it due to the mixed reviews and lack of fast glass.. was i right?),

or some primes such as the 105 or 135.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

N

Nuteshack

u wana shoot inside with no flash and 50mm isn't enough reach? simple, u need fast glass and imho 2.8 glass isn't fast enough..sounds like an 85 1.8 or depending on funds the 85 1.4 is the ticket .....;-))

Thanks for all the advise so far, have alot of thinking to do but would love to hear more. Any thoughts on a non prime lens something with more versitality. Thanks again

P

photoshooter

Coupled with a d70, an 18-200 is an excellent lens.

Nothing is going to give you good quality, in low light, doing candids.
Your shutter speed will always be low, you will have to shoot at high ISO.

It's ok to be a purist and use natural light, but that requires , long shutter speeds, tripods etc. for good consistent exposures.

I f you are casually shooting, there is no reason to not use some light from the camera or an sb800 etc.
Getting candids is pretty easy and you will get more satisfaction from your photos.

Whatever you read about lens and poor quality, probably more than less is user error, bad technique etc.

I am a professional photographer, whose equipment is my living.

I can tell you that I have many lens, Including a 24-120vr, 80-400vr and a 18-200 which I absolutely love.

Fast/Versatile/Not Prime

You already have a 17-35 2.8. I think that the 17-55 will be too redundant. The 18-200VR is a great lens, but not for what you are looking for at this time. (I have one). I went with the 28-70 (The Beast), and have never regretted this decision. It seems to meet all of your requirements.

If 50mm is too short indoors I guess you like candids and head shots?
You mentioned the beast so guessing on the amount you're willing to spend and I would think the legendary 85/1.4 should be considered first. It's one of Nikon's best with a very special look and I love using it indoors. I dont use it wide open much but it's razor sharp f/1.8 on. If that's too short I've heard great things about the 105/2 and 135/2 although I have no experience with these. I've also used the 70-200VR for great close-up candids around the house.

Keep in mind the amount of light YOU have in your indoors because as you get greater mm's less light reaches the sensor i.e. longer shutter speeds. I think a 135mm is 1 stop slower than a 50mm at equal apertures plus you need another stop of speed in order to handhold the camera. I have an 85mm 1.4 and while it is a truly amazing lens I get more keepers with the 50mm 1.4 in my house (low light).I would also agree a little with photoshooter in that flash would get you a higher % of keepers for casual candids of family. But if you want more reach in low light (indoors) 85mm 1.4 or 1.8 is as long as I would go unless you get an obsene amount of light into your house.

Latest threads

Top Bottom