1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need some critique

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Paul.r.lindqvist, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Iv composed a flash slideshow with some of the images from a wedding i did this summer.

I would like critique on both the photos and the slideshow (how it plays, loads acceptable, smooth transitions etc)

I dont do weddings, but from time to time friends/family request me to do them, and often im not given a choice. :rolleyes: 

This one was for a friends sister, and it took place @ the Swedish archipelago outside Stockholm city.

It was a outdoor wedding as you can see, and the sun wasnt mercyful, it was +35 celsius and i was sweating like a pig.:biggrin:

Eitherway im really not experienced in this field, and would like any honest critique you can give.

PS. Turn on your speakers.

Kindest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Well, it's done is flash, so that's a minus for many folks unfortunately. I'm at work, and cannot view it.

3. Great presentation Paul, well put together.
    In my view the duration of each image is a little too long and I consider the pp on the couple shots and some of the faces a little over done - but that is what some people like !!
    Didn't take long to load either.
    Well done.....

4. Very nice presentation, wonderful mix of photos. You nailed the exposures, hard to do in the lighting you were working with. I watched the full slide show and saw nothing of concern, nothing to even nit-pick. You should be very proud and pleased with your photos.

5. Medic
    Ah bugger, well maybe you get a chance when you get home. :) 

I understand that not everyone have flash , but the slideshow is foremost for the bride and groom to use to show their friends & family and just about anyone that has a computer (in sweden at least) at home can view it.

But i understand that many people at work dont have flash available due to restrictions.

Geoff
    Thanx for the input, maybe i should change the display time for each image.

As for the skin, well i have to partially blame the brides sister lol, she is a MUA she did a excellent job of covering up most of the stuff. I cloned out hair and stuff mostly but a little skin softening is applied to some of them in pp,so point taken.

Thanx!

Charlie
    Thanx, glad you liked it.

Kindest

6. I most definitely will. Actually, I have my laptop with me now, but I just haven't plugged it in yet. I'm working on the computer at our base.

7. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I agree about the time spent on each shot is alittle long.

Hate the music . Sorry just me.

8. Hi Biggs!

I changed the display time to 3 sec, instead of 4 now.

Hehe sorry about the music, its very special tune for the bride & groom so it has to stay. :)  (Their wedding march)

Thanx for the input.

Empty the browser cache

9. Excellent show! The timing seems spot on now. The close cropping does a better job conveying the personal nature of the event rather than wider shots.

10. Paul...geesh, just awesome pics. I like the slide show, flows very well.

My only nit-pik would be the buoys in the background with the close ups on the dock. By the way, excellent lighting there. How was that setup?

11. You should do more weddings. These are fantastic!

12. Paul, it's a wonderful presentation and your photography is very good. Congrats on a successful shoot. I like the music.

13. My comments: :smile:

Great pictures overall, very "weddingish". Nicely done! Slideshow loaded no problems, love the music! Very beautiful!

Still seemed a little too slow on each pic, but for the final to the couple, that might be just fine, as I'm sure they will want to study them more than we do :tongue:

I thought there were just a few to many table/set-up shots in the beginning. JMO.

Overall, they should be more than pleased.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Paul,

Wonderful slide show. I'm sure they will treasure this always!

I especially like your use of shallow DOF to reduce any "busy-ness" in many of the photos. Also gives a dreamy look quite appropriate to wedding shots. Great shots, by the way!

You might want to check the music length compared to the length of the slide show. Just now, the music ended well before the slide show was complete. Maybe just a fluke or ...?? Try to adjust the timing of slide viewing and transition times so that the music and photos end together or the music trails off during the last photo.

All in all, an excellent show of which you should be very proud.

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Beautiful work, I too would like to know the light set-up! And it was nice to see some photos of my old Country/area. Thanks for sharing Paul.

Ack, super cheesy music, Cilon Dilon...whatever her name is. haha

16. Thanx for the input Rich, much appreciated.

Thanx Phil, glad you liked them.

Yes i thought about cloning them out, but its a little catch, the location was specifically chosen for the scenery, they couple wanted a archipelago "theme" on their wedding. So while they are somewhat distracting, i still felt that i couldnt remove them.

The setup with natural light was done with skylites 2x2 meters and 1x2 meter panels.

Thanx!

Hehe, well iv gotten a few emails asking for just that, and my brothers wife's sister is getting married in december so i guess i dont really have a choice lol.

BTW all photo during the ceremony is taken with the 135/2 ais on the D3. (maybe it will give you a better idea of the fov)

Thanx Gordon, glad you enjoyed them.

Thanx Shaun for the input, much appreciated.

Yes i suspect their families and friends will look a little closer/longer to so im gonna keep the 3 sec display time. :) 

Yes the table decoration got a little extra attention,is a little special, one of the brides sister made it, also the building the reception was held in is a very old building and been in the family for generations. Its actually a very old boat shop.

Thanx!

17. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

Firstly, good work on the wedding. I have not, and do not, photograph weddings because of the nature of the work, so I'm always appreciative when someone can do this well. Kudos to you. I have no constructive criticism to offer on the photos themselves.

With respect to the slide show, I'd probably have to quote Quiller-Couch's famous remark on writing and self-editing by authors, "Murder your darlings." (Source). In this context, you have many many lovely photos here, but the photos proceed a bit slowly - others have commented on this - and the music is completed after the slideshow ends.

Closing the slideshow long after the music is completed mutes, even defeats, the purpose of the lovely piece you've carefully chosen. It feels something like an actor standing on the stage after the show is ended and the applause has died down. I'm sure that this is not your aim here, and doesn't fit the style of the slideshow you've prepared. The slideshow without the music wouldn't have this issue, of course, but then you lose the concept of the male-female duet, and the growing harmony of both singers leading to the finale of the music, an effect I'd assume that you made intentionally built into the slideshow.

Which brings me to the root question of which darlings to murder. That's a painful and harsh decision that can only be made by you. Do you want the anticipation created by the set dining places to develop and thus make the moments of the wedding more sweet ? Are the contemplative poses of the bride and groom laying out a pathway to the future which builds to the close ? Should the photos proceed by at a faster clip, and all be included, but with less emphasis ? Should there be a different dissolve between shots to make the process run more quickly or, alternately, with a smaller number of photos, more lovingly ?

I can't say - it's your art here.

What I can say is that you're close to the answer, but that last 5% will take more effort than all of the work to this point. Self-editing and "murdering your darlings" is perhaps the most difficult task for any serious artist in their work, but it makes the difference between a fine art effort, and that which isn't at such level.

I'm confident that you can make that incremental, seemingly small but, oh, all so painfully hard, change to fit your artistic vision and desire.

John P.

P.S. The full quotation, which perhaps makes better sense in context, is "Whenever you feel an impulse to perpetrate a piece of exceptionally fine writing, obey it—whole-heartedly—and delete it before sending your manuscript to press. Murder your darlings."

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  18. Thanx Karen.

Iv been fiddling with that the whole day, on my computer (playing it from the internet) it ends just about on the last frame most of the time.

For some odd reasons the transitions seems to go a little smoother if you run it full screen? (the button to the far right)

Anyone else have the music to stop before well before the last frame ?

Thanx.

19. Thanx Linda, glad you liked it.

hehe, cheesy lol

20. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

Yup. That's the basis of many of the comments that I made... :confused: 

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.