1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need some direction - Upcoming shoot w/SB600 & 800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by DJVCuda, Aug 10, 2009.

1. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I mainly shoot automotive outdoors, but have been asked to shoot an operating mechanical building. The majority of the room is piping, white insulation covers it as well as the equipment.

My question is this - I have 2 flash units, and the Nikon SJ-1 COLOR FILTER SET - What would you do - leave the piping plane jane or try and add some dramatic effects with colored flashes?

The shots will be used for promotional purposes and future sales of the piping installer.

Thanks for your help

Dave

2. Well that would be a very cool dramatic affect, but it may not be what the piping installer wants if they are using it for promotional purposes. If you can talk to the installer and see what he would like, maybe try some colored and some without the colors on the flashes.

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    good points thanks!

the customer is not too specific as to exactly what they want, but i'd like to give them alot to choose from, the color filters are what I can come up with right now...

4. It does seem like a very cool idea with the colors, but if its for promotional purposes for that specific pipe installation, then he might want it the white, but if its just showing their work off then the colors would be a very good idea,

5. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    well did my shoot today... what a mess.

security in the places I had to shoot were completely nuts. so no creative lighting was possible.

Best I could get away with was one sb800 attached to the body.

so the shots are all vanilla.
    ooh well - i can always try some post to spruce them up.

6. ooof that sucks man. put some shots up, lets see how they turned out

7. I was stuck in a situation similar to that and did some HDR stuff as an alternative and the client (smartly) went with the HDR.

8. Sucks when someone wants a creative shot (photographer or the person paying for the shots) and then something like security gets in the way.

A few weeks ago I was helping a friend out with his clothing line. I was just acting as a model, not a photographer, but we were in a public parking garage and security hassled us, said we needed a permit, and didn't like the fact that we had a few small props (a bike, a skateboard), and all the camera equipment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.