Need some first shoot and tripod help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icetraxx, May 22, 2005.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Here is the situation let me know what you think:

Setting:
    Dance recital with 50 numbers with 175 total students. Wife is the director so I will have some say in lighting. I'm solo shooting the rehearsal and the actual recital to hopefully generate a little income to help pay for the hobby. I have shot dance competitions in this theater for the past 4 years mostly free hand or on a monopod.

Equipment:
    D2X(w/RRS L-bracket), 70-200mm vr, 17-55mm, 85mm 1.4.
    IBM T41p laptop 1gb ram and 9hour battery
    4GB and 2GB sandisk Ultra 3 cards and a lexar pro 2gb card + reader

Coming in Monday or Tuesday a Markins M-10 ball head and a RRS BH-55 ball head. I ordered the Markins before I found the RRS ballhead. I am thinking about just selling the Markins because of the stocking fee and I have a feeling that I am going to like the BH-55 better??

I am going to order a tripod first thing monday morning. I am leaning toward a Feisol because it is in my price range and I cannot find a used Gitzo G1228. Does anyone have any other recommendations around the $200 mark?

I know I don't have enough compact flash cards to just shoot the whole event that is why the laptop is coming. If I can get my settings dialed in at rehearsal I might shoot compressed raw at the rehearsal. I will probably shoot the 70-200mm for tight shots of the dancers. I was told that this is what parents want.

I plan on useing a site like prophoto to offer the pictures for sale. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Is there anything that I'm missing? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. No matter how they handle the lighting it will be brutal to shoot. That is why I shoot RAW so that I can correct in post processing. I have shot with flash and without, having some success with both. If you go without flash, expect to increase your ISO to 1600 and even then you have carefully plan their movements to find the best time to shoot. Here are a few shots from similar events.

Without flash

With flash

With flash

Silhoutte

I agree that parents want images of their daughter/son and so closeups will sell the best. Or at least small groups. Good luck with your shoot.

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Gordon,
    Thanks for the tips. I plan on shooting raw. I normally shoot iso800. I have been leary of the noise levels above that especially with the d2h.

You have some really great shots. When you shoot do you use a tripod, monopod, or freehand it?

Thanks again

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,

Great images. You did a marvelous job. The silhoutte is great

5. All shots were made freehand. A tripod would just get in the way. Keep your ISO as low as you can to still capture the shots that you want. It is pretty much a timing issue, catching them at the peak of action.

6. Thanks Gale, I had a vested interest since the images included two of my granddaughters.