Need some help finding a spot near Boston

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Wondering if anyone who knows the city better than I (which is probably most here!) could help me.

I'd like to shoot a moon rise over the cityscape. The image that is stuck in my mind was one that I saw late one night/early a.m. while on my way into the city (driving the ambulance......therefore, couldn't stop to shoot!). I had gotten off the by South Station (near the old Chinatown exit) and the moon was just hanging there over the buildings, it was stunning.

Is there a location in that general area where I could shoot, that might give me a touch of elevation (i.e. not street level) ? It may have to be some odd hour of the night b/c of moon rise schedules.

Help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

2. There was an article last week around the 4th of July in the Globe, about the best places to see the fireworks, there were some spots in the city that were suggested. Let me see if I can find it for you. Only concern is that some were in the 'dodgier' areas, esp if you're shooting at night.

Couldn't find the article online...do you have last week's paper? Some spots were in Jamaica Plain, and in Southie.

What part of the cityscape are you trying to shoot? Close to buildings? You might scout around the Statehouse, out in the Public Garden/Common. The entire cityscape? Across the river, at MIT or the Hyatt Regency, you can get some good shots looking across. The Hyatt has a patio that's up about a 1/2 story. A long shot (pun intended) would be from the high ground in Newton Corner (look up to your right as you come in the Mass Pike).

There's also a park in East Boston that looks across the harbor to the city. It's called Piers Park. However, you would probably be on the wrong side for the moon, unless you were there very late (or very early AM). But might make a nice nighttime shot location anyway.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007