Need some help from someone GERMAN!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cajun angel, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Okay, this has nothing to do with photography! I'm looking for a recipe that was lost - it's for German Potato Dumplings. I don't know how to spell the name in German, but my husband loved having them when he was stationed in Germany while in the Army. I'm going to search my big box and hope to find the recipe but if anyone out there knows how to make them, I'd love to have the recipe! Thanks in advance!

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Kartoffelkloesse

3. I found that online, but there are many variations. I wish I had not lost the recipe that I had gotten! The lady that gave it to me lived in the exact area where Mark was stationed! And thanks Frank for looking that up for me.

4. gladjo

gladjo Guest

These are good. Try to find a good thick German brown gravy to go with them. They soak it up real nice too. I'm hungry now.

In Southern German cuisine, the Potato Dumpling is a beloved actor.
    Old-fashioned comfort food, its springy, chewy consistency soaks up gravy and pan juices. You may find them pre-made online, or in a box on the market shelf, but the truly devoted will make their own.

Makes 15 - 20 dumplings

Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Ingredients:
    6 T. butter, divided
    1 c. dry white bread crumbs
    2 slices fresh white bread, cut into 1/2 inch squares
    1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. regular farina, not quick-cooking
    3 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
    1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
    3 1/2 c. cold, riced potatoes, about 4-5 medium potatoes (Russets, or other baking potatoes)
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Preparation:
    Brown bread crumbs in 4 tablespoons butter. Remove from pan, add the other 2 tablespoons butter and brown the bread cubes. Drain both on paper towels.

Place the riced potatoes in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the flour, farina, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add the mix in three or more portions to the potatoes, beating after each addition. Add eggs and mix well. If mixture is too thin to hold together in a ball, add flour a little at a time to mixture.

Bring 4 quarts of water and remaining salt to a boil in a 6-8 quart pot.

Lightly flour your hands and shape each dumpling into a 2 inch ball. Press a hole into the center of the ball, place 2-3 croutons into it and reform the ball around the croutons.

Drop all of the dumplings into the boiling water and stir gently, so they don’t stick to each other. Reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until dumplings rise to the surface. Cook for 1 additional minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a preheated platter. Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and serve immediately.

5. THANKS JIM! This recipe sounds almost like the one I lost! My hubby dearly loved them while he was in Germany! I've cut and pasted and have saved it at least 3 different places. I ain't gonna lose it this time! Thanks again!

6. gladjo

gladjo Guest

My pleasure Dianne. My mother is German so we ate a lot of them in the days. My wife never had them till I took her to Germany several years ago and now she actually makes them for me once in a while. Enjoy. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.