Need some help very colorful bird

Discussion in 'Nikon Cafe Photo Clinic' started by IrishBryan, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I have the RAW image (I shoot only in Raw Now) my issue is I had my EV set to -7 and a lot of my images were underexposed. This guy in RAW apperas to be a bit flat. So I Post Processed in Capture NX and bosted the color saturation a bit and playerd with levels and Curves. But I think I lost some details and someone on another site said they see noise. I don't see any noise but I also may not know what to look for. :wink:

Any way here it is, like I said I have the NEF file if needed.

p963268072-4.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    It would be nice to have the nef file, if you need a place to upload please see your PM.

Wade

3. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Bryan,

First, my compliments on a nice focused capture of this colorful bird. It is a bit underexposed, but probably better to error this way than the other way with colors being right at the edge of the histogram if you push the exposure to much.

Your dof is of course quite narrow shooting this close to the subject, and you just about got the eye in perfect focus, but it appears that the feathers just above or to the side the beak are the actual lens focus position, but that is pretty darn close to the eye! So my compliments on the focus.

I posted the original, your post work and my post work at the end of this thread,

first I like your crop and kept the crop for my post. Your positioning of the bird in the left side of the image allows room for the viewer and bird to have space and seems appropriate for this image.

My post in NX is as follows, and yes some in PS could improve upon this with a lot more work, but my concern was how your colors became over saturated in your processing, and caused the lost of detail. notice the yellow, and the lack of feather detail, and also note the loss in the red and bue/black ringed next to the red too.

I started with your raw in NX and adjusted the color mode to mode II, which seemed to highlight the blues and yellows best. I left WB alone, and I turned sharpening off in the camera adjustment area, we will do sharpening at the end.

Next in Raw adjustments I set the ev to +.33

In light and color adjustments I boosted the contrast to +6 and in color booster I went to +9

LCH under master lightness I set the right slider to 239
    Under curves I did a very very shallow S curve.

I tried a bit of noise reduction, but other than the extreme shadows the ISO 400 wasn't to bad except for the shadows and that was mostly due to the under exposure. So I left NR alone.

Next was the USM settings which I did in 4 steps,

first step was entire image 45, 2, 2,

2nd was entire image 9, 7, 4,

3rd was also entire image with 10, 30, 0

and the fourth was first done entire image once again with 10, 30, 0 then I clicked on the brush tool and only applied the 4th sharpening to the eye area, and a bit behind and below the eye, to give the illusion that it was also as sharp as the other feathers.

Final step was cropping with 8x10 landscape crop.

I left the image in aRGB to show the difference and if your browser doesn't recognize aRGB just copy the image to a program that does recognize it.

Now, in regards to the post work, other gurus can and probably would do a better job, but this is a workflow that seemed to work pretty good for this image. This was the first time I ever did 4 sharpening steps, my previous high was 3 in NX, but I had to be careful and watch the noise which developed with heavy two step sharpening. I also had good results in Intellisharpen pro in CS, and I am sure that the new CS3 and it's advance tools would work well too.

Once again nice image, pretty good focusing point, and if you were handholding, nice work at the low shutter speeds.

orig:
    [​IMG]

yours:
    p963268072-4.

Mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  4. If I didn't say it before thak you very much Wade!!

For every thing.

:smile:

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes you did in a PM.

And you are welcome.

Wade