Need some help with image dimensions?

Currently I am only using PSElements 7 for PP. I am looking to upgrade to LR3. With the advice of Frank, our sons college will pay off to us w/student discount for software purchase. I am waiting to upgrade computer to new PC or MBP? I realize disc for LR3 is multiplatform but there are limited times license may be used from 1 computer to another.
I have been shooting my new D700 alot & originally I did some portrait & did not have Auto image Rotation On, since corrected. My image dimensions show 4256 X 2832 whether in portrait or landscape. After processing & some cropping the image to 4 X 6 ratio dimensions have changed to 2764 X 1843.
Am I correct in thinking 2764 X 1843 are the pixel dimensions for 4 X 6?
If so what is the ratio of a 4256 X 2832 dimension that D700 produces?
Thanks for the help I am a little confused.

Currently I am only using PSElements 7 for PP. I am looking to upgrade to LR3. With the advice of Frank, our sons college will pay off to us w/student discount for software purchase. I am waiting to upgrade computer to new PC or MBP? I realize disc for LR3 is multiplatform but there are limited times license may be used from 1 computer to another.
I have been shooting my new D700 alot & originally I did some portrait & did not have Auto image Rotation On, since corrected. My image dimensions show 4256 X 2832 whether in portrait or landscape. After processing & some cropping the image to 4 X 6 ratio dimensions have changed to 2764 X 1843.

If I understand what you did, then no... those are how many pixels you have left after cropping...the 4x6 ratio can be any set of numbers from 2x3 up to NxN as long as the relationship remains at 2x3/width x length...In fact, because modern 35mm cameras take pictures at (or close to) the 4x6 ratio, the original size of 4256 X 2832 is also 4x6 (or close enough to it to not really matter).

Original 4256 X 2832 is 6x4 format, and yes, 2764 X 1843 is also 6x4 format.

(long side) x (small number) / (larger number) = (short side)

2764 x 4 / 6 = 1842.7

Multiply by 4/6 to compute the smallest side, or multiply by 6/4 to compute the larger side. In that rato.

To print 6x4 inches at 300 dpi (suitable anywhere), you need

(6 inches x 300 dpi) x (4 inches x 300 dpi) = 1800 x 1200 pixels.

So you have plenty of pixels, if this is your goal.

I have not seen Elements in awhile, but I think it has the same cropping tool as Photoshop... the Rectangular Marquee tool, which marks the selection borders with the lines of "marching ants".

When selected, it has a menu of properties, where you can specify "Fixed Ratio", and also specify 6x4 (or 4x6) and then any crop box you can draw will be this shape. No specific size, but this shape.

Thanks for Wayne & Shaun for helping clarify some things.
I was somewhat confused on why the dimensions were different.
I still have a lot to learn, especially with post processing.
I like to view both of your links, their very helpful.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom