Need some help with RAM

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by kwork, Jul 16, 2007.

1. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I've got an old desktop at home that I think I want to improve a bit. Mostly used for surfing but want to be able to run some photo editing software and perhaps some video editing. I think the RAM is a major bottleneck.
    From what I've found (I'm no whiz when it comes to the details inside the box) this type of RAM is expensive and has to be put in in matching pairs.
    There's 4 slots and it maxes out at 2 GB (4 512MB cards). Where can I get some 512MB cards for a decent price that are fully compatible? I don't know the difference between PC400 Pc600, PC800, PC3200, etc.
    Here's the mfg specs for the PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=bph06626&lc=en#N411

If upgrading the RAM is going to cost more than buying a new PC then I'll just go that route. If there's cheap sticks out there, I'm not finding them.

Right now, I use a laptop for all of my photo editing, but would like to get something that I can hook up to a larger display. Not to mention, my wife prefers working on the laptop so sharing gets to be an issue sometimes.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
  3. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Link is fixed.

Here's the info on memory copied from the HP site:

256 MB PC600 Rambus (RDRAM)
    Maximum 2 GB (4 x 512 MB RIMM) (MS Windows Me supports up to 512 MB)
    Speed 400 MHz synchronous
    Rambus channels 2
    Sockets 4 / 184-pin RIMMs
    Size 128, 144, 256, 512 MB RIMMs
    Pairs Required Yes. Rambus RIMM modules must be installed in pairs, and both modules within a channel must be identical (same manufacturer and type).

If there is an unpopulated RIMM socket (in a channel), it must be loaded with a C-RIMM (continuity module) to complete the Rambus channel. For example, populate each channel with:

RIMM + RIMM or RIMM + C-RIMM
    Free RIMM sockets 0
    Type Supported Intel PC600 RDRAM 400 MHz

4. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    hey, I suggest first you go to Belrac Advisor and download & run the free program there to determine what kind of RAM you've got. It'll alos give you your mobo name.

5. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I'll do that.
    Thanks for the link

6. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Oh, my, you hit the 'super-duper top-end machine' button! RAMbus memory is, indeed, hilariously expensive (>$200 for each of the two 512K sticks that you'll need.) I suspect PC800 are about all you find easily...

7. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Followed the link and this is what I got
    256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'RIMM 1' has 64 MB
    Slot 'RIMM 2' has 64 MB
    Slot 'RIMM 3' has 64 MB
    Slot 'RIMM 4' has 64 MB

I'd already figured that out.

My question now is this, Are PC800 or PC3200 memory stick 100% compatible with the PC600 Rambus system I have? Or am I stuck with PC600?
    I found a site with PC3200 184-pin 512MB cards for $30 each and wondered if they would work

8. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    SDRAM vs RDRAM vs DDR is all very confusing
    I have RDRAM. Is there a substitute?

9. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Kevin, RDRAM is different from the others. In fact, none of the memory types are compatible. The modules simply don't fit into the other types' slots.

RDRAM was proclaimed as the king of memory by Intel back in 1999, and while its concept was good it never really happened. Production costs and other things killed it off before it had a chance to establish. That's why it's so darn expensive.

For the price you'd pay to buy bigger RDRAM sticks you could get an entirely new computer off the shelf that would kick your old one's butt in every aspect. IMO, you should consider getting a new PC instead.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but, I'm afraid, that's how it is.

10. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    ^That's what I figured

11. Kevin

I'll second the idea of just getting a new machine. One of my clients had a RAMBUS machine and it was crazy to even consider a memory upgrade.

Good new is ... the new machine will vastly outperform the old one, no matter if you buy the cheapest one you can find or the most expensive!!

Cheers!!

Ken

12. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    thanks for all the help guys.
    Now I have to convince the CFO that this is a necessary expense