Need some help.

Next Saturday we are having a race to honor one of our friends who passed away last year. I'm trying to work up a poster/banner that we can hang at our track using a photo of Jamie. I wanted to do a smudge of the picture but the results I've had have been horrible at best. I'm looking for someone to do a smudge that I can print at 30x24 (partial). I don't have much to pay but am willing to give you something for your time. I've attached the photo to this thread along with some information about the Race we are having.

http://www.flowoodrc.com/ - You can see the event information on the left.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The photo has two problems.
First it is very small, only 550*694, not enough pixels. Perhaps you have the original?
Second, it is out of focus. Do you perhaps have an image that is sharp?
These problems mean that you would be smudging something that is already blurred, and although I'm not a smudge expert I don't think this could work. You would just end up with an even more blurred, low definition result, that would look even worse when printed large.

My best suggestion, although probably impossible for Saturday, would be to instead look for an artist who could take that photo and paint a portrait of him based on it. The photo is more than good enough for that purpose. And a painting would be a lasting memorial.

My other suggestion if you don't have a better image is to get that one printed large, despite its shortcomings. I'm sure people will appreciate it. I have done a quick edit on it for you to fix the blacks and to sharpen it, so at least you have a slightly better version.

Good luck.

Thanks Richard but that's all I have. I appreciate you chiming in and letting me know, I'll see if I can find a painter or a caricature artist.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Dennis, in considering a large print such as this 30"x20" from such a low resolution image and before writing it off as no good there are a few things you may want to consider:

First as stated the image native pixel resolution of 550x694 is pretty low and made worse by the fact that it is not the sharpest image. Printing this image at a resolution of 300 ppi would yield a print size of only 1.8" x 2.3" approx.

But perhaps what you should be considering is viewing distance of the print and the ppi requirements to get an acceptable image (within the limitations of sharpeness of the original!). The usual rec. is for prints to be viewed at a distance of 1.5 -2x the print diagonal. In the case of a 30x24" print this would mean you may only need 90ppi image resolution when viewed at the 'normal' distance.

What I would suggest is resizing and resampling the image to 3569x4500 pixels and setting 150 ppi - this will give you a document size of 23.79" x 30". Below is a 100% crop of part of your original (some small changes to colour balance and a touch of sharpening). You cannot judge print quality on screen due to scaling factors etc so I suggest that you actually make a print of this area only then stand back at least 5' to evaluate the image quality - you may be pleasantly surprised. If you really must have a smudge look then you really should be working on the full size final image otherwise once enlarged it is likely to look ugly

Should you want/need to disguise pixelation a little trick is to add some noise to the image which can also aid in the appearance of added sharpness. Wait a few seconds for the image to change from normal to added noise. As stated you cannot judge this on screen but if you want to get an idea stand back from your screen about 10'

Thanks ! I think I've round someone local to paint it for me but still not sure. We'll work something out though, I appreciate all the help !!
Dennis

Sorry to hear you lost a friend. Even though I'm not nearly the smudge artist that some others are, I can up-rez it for others to smudge, or for you to pritnt. This one will print decently at the size I link to below (the word 'here')
I had a somewhat similar challenge with a friend's retirement picture, and learned a bit.

Here is a link to a 30x24 inch 300 pixel per inch version of it (smaller version below)

I did a bit of Topaz DeNoise (#%@*^ DeNoise had to run on 32-bit CS-6 because it crashed AGAIN in 64-bit mode!! )
Then I took it to OnOne for fractal enlarging 400%(two 200% steps). Then back to PS for unsharp clarifying and some sharpening, Topaz Clarity, a very light Topaz Adjust, and back to OnOne for final enlarging.
There ARE some enlargement issues. For one, there is no hair detail such as eyelash or eyebrow hair. Smudging can fix that by adding in.
For another there are highlight/color noise issues that are magnified by enlarging. Primarily in the eyes. But smudging takes care of that as well.

So, Ray, if you want to smudge away...

I think an impossible task but gave it a try...really sorry at the sad loss of Jamie and also sorry I cannot get any better...just so small to work with and so little detail to smudge...

Best wishes

Ray

Attachments

WOW ... Thanks Ray. I have a local artist that 'was' going to recreate the photo in chalk but after we agreed on a price she never got back with me so I'm not sure what's up. This will be perfect for my needs and I can't thank you enough.

Dennis

Everyone was THRILLED. I put the pic in the upper left of a 30x20 and left space for everyone to sign and leave messages for the family. It worked perfect !!!
Thank you again Ray. I'll post pics from the race this coming weekend along with the poster and family.

Though I'd drop back in and first give another THANK YOU to Ray!!! Here's a quick snapshot of what we did with the image. The family was thrilled and Jamie's wife hugged my neck more than once so Ray... I owe you a hug : ) Thanks again!!!

Many thanks and it was a pleasure to help...just wish I could have done better but gave it my best shot....

Best wishes as always

Ray

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom