Need some help

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by husawis, Jul 25, 2007.

1. husawis

husawis Guest

I was asked to do some photos for an auction catalog for an older persons estate. One of the pieces has posed a real problem. This is a pocket watch made in the late 30's. The case is gold filled, blue steel hands and gold numerals.

I have tried every lighting setup I can think of but the numerals come out black or real dark grey. I have tried SB800's remote triggered with SU-800 alone or in combination with R1C1. Soft box, light tent, diffusers etc, and I just can not seem to get the gold to show.

Part of the collection has some gold painted dishes. They are fine just can not get the watch. Any help would be appreciated

2. It sounds like you have done the right things so I am perplexed as to what the problem could be. You might try to bring out the gold in post processing. It would probably help if we had a picture to look at.

3. husawis

husawis Guest

Gordon - I wanted to include a picture but the contract does not allow me to do that. I have thought about the post processing too but haven't tried it yet. Thank you for your assistance.

woliwon

4. jcovert

jcovert Guest

5. husawis

husawis Guest

Thanks for the link. Already tried that. He does some amazing watch photos for sure. I am going to try one more thing today using sunlight through a light tent. This has really got me stumped. Wouldn't you know it is that last image I need to complete the work. Thanks again for your help.

woliwon