Need some inspiration

I am currently on day 264 of my 365 project of my daughter (from birth through her first birthday is the goal). I've taken thousands of photos and select one from each day and post it to the blog in my signature. I've really had a great time, and it has taught me a lot about myself, photography, and my daughter.

I feel though that I am hitting a creative rut. I get home after work, and just sort of sit there thinking...well what should I do now? I think I have a lot of "cute" shots, and about 10-12 photos that I would consider good enough to frame and want to display in my home, but I just feel like i need some more inspiration to get me through the last 100 days.

anyone have any good tips or sites to look at?

For reference, here are a couple recent ones the first is one was taken after she grabbed my 50 1.8 from my bag.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

She is so cute! I don't have mush experience in shooting the little ones, so I'll have to keep my comment focused on your posted pictures; they're fantastic!

That second one is great. What a sweet expression!

This isn't the most original idea--you've probably already done something along these lines, but in case you haven't . . . . during each of my kids' first year, I took their picture on their birth date each month with the same toy in order to show how they were growing and changing. I notice the little basketball in the second shot--is there something like that, or a specific location, etc. that you can recreate from an earlier image to showcase her development?

Wow that takes some discipline. I am sure your daughter will really appreciate these when she reaches adulthood. Day 127 with the remote control was my favourite. In terms of inspiration you could push the envelope of creativity a bit some shots with selective colouring or even use some painterly or sketch effects in photoshop; as well some high grain, high contrast images etc. Not sure if that will help?

Thank you everyone. Omar, maybe that is what I need to do. I've been somewhat reluctant to really push the processing. Good idea about the toy. Wish I would have thought of that earlier.

Anyone have any links to some good child photographers? Looking at the work of others always inspires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both shots are great, as are the ones on the blog. I especially love that second shot, it just has such a great feeling to it.

Also, I love the idea of the whole project and I will in fact be copying you once I have a little one of my own :smile:

Both shots are great, as are the ones on the blog. I especially love that second shot, it just has such a great feeling to it.

Also, I love the idea of the whole project and I will in fact be copying you once I have a little one of my own :smile:
Please do! It has been a lot of fun, though it has also been trying at times (I think the post-processing time is probably the hardest because you take so many photos, it is hard to delete any photo of your child, even badly out of focus misaligned overexposed stuff).

When you get it set up, make sure to post the link so I can follow it and put a link up on my blog.

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I stole the idea from a friend of mine, he finished his in April. http://baby365.blogspot.com. Don't hate him because he is a canon shooter! :Whistle:

Ok. How is this for high grain/high contrast. Newest photo from today.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom