Need some opinion on my shots, please!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by vladik1980, Aug 5, 2008.

1. I have a MacBookPro and the images that I edit, often appear to others an overblown and soft, where as to me on my Mac screen they seem absolutely perfect, in terms of exposure and sharpness isn't ideal, but definitely fine. Could some of you please take a look and tell me how many of you see those imperfections.

Link to the images below.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=28805845

Thanks very much in advance.

Vlad

2. Do you calibrate your monitor and what program do you use for editting?

Nancy

3. Hi Nancy,

This those shots I used NX2, that came with D700. I calibrated the monitor, but purely for colors, using Mac utility. The screen is really bright and still I can see all the details on those images with no overblown highlights. Do they appear overblown to you?

Vlad

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I don't see what you mean...I can't notice anything wrong with them. And hello! You replied to one of my posts at FM :smile:

5. vlad,
    please post some of your images here
    linking to a dpreview forum post isn't going to bring my attention here

we like to see images DIRECTLY posted.... so, that we can evaluate them.... as you have asked

thanks

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

If you look at the histograms (have you?) and see where the distribution falls...and in two I looked at here there was nothing wrong...then you can answer your own question which is what ultimately counts.

Other than that, commenting on the camera being used for a series of snapshots is pretty difficult.

If you do a test series of the same subject with different settings, post them here, and then tell us what seems to be correct to you, perhaps better advice might be given.

[edit] oops sorry Greg, cross-posted as you were saying something similar.

7. Here are some examples of which to me seem properly exposed and fairly sharp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Here are a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I think they look fine, bright sun, might use polarizer. I read the thread at DPreview and i think most thought they looked fine.DPreview is nasty, so don't take a random critique as truth, look at all the positive ones! Lens looks good!

10. THanks again everyone! :) 

11. In NX go to the top menu and click View then lost highlights. That should tell you if you have anything blown or not. There is also a lost shadows selection that can help too.

Nancy

12. I checked on the few images and it shows extremely minor lose :smile:

Thanks everyone for your help.

Vlad

13. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi Vladik,
    none of the images is blown and I see not softness either. I am happy there are no childish oversharpening halos around all the edges.

14. Vladik,

I see no issues with your pictures - some of the pics <like the Car in shade> are high contrast scenes, but you have handled the exposure well.

15. Peter and Sanjay,

Thank you very much again for taking a look at my shots. I got a bit paranoid again and started reading Brian Peterson "Understand Exposure" book again :) ))))))) . Great book I must say!

16. Vlad, get nik's Vivenza and give it a try.
    It's a PS plug-in and there's a 15 day trial you can use.
    http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/usa/entry.php
    The u-point technology is great for making minor modifications in exposure, contrast etc.
    I'm amazed at how effective it is.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

17. Thanks Virginia, I looked at some sample looks really cool. I will give it a try.

Vlad

18. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    Calibration can't be done with just software. You need a hardware component (light color sensor or photometer to read your screen. Anything else is just a guess.

19. very nice photos, they look more than fine. Why would you calibrate your macbook? I think it comes with optimum calibration for the built-in screen, unless, you want to fix it in a specific room with specific lighting. I wouldn't worry about calibration with apple/apple hardware, unless you are in the print business...

20. Thank you Bashar, I've calibrated the screen via Apple software and very pleased. I don't feel like spending 200+ to buy hardware! Thank you for looking at my images.

By the way, I listened to some of your tunes, they are very nice. Are there in production somewhere?

Vlad

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.