Need some QUICK help! Reducing file size for JPEGS

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Edrod13, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I am running out of time to get about 150 pictures uploaded so that I can pick them up today. I took headshots of all my students because every year I do a picture wall and put some goals next to their pics. I decided to shoot jpeg because I want to print these SOC but I used LARGE and each file size is around 4-5MB. Uploading to costco, I am looking at around 184 minutes. Can I reduced the file size and still have a decent looking pic since I am only getting these done in 4x6? I use CS2, inrfranview and NX. Thanks

Eddie

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The only way I know is in CS3 and create an action to reduce. Sorry wish I could've helped.

3. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I do it in Irfanview all of the time. Here's how:

1st, put all of the pictures needing resized in the same folder. I suggest you make a copy of the originals first since this sounds like it will be the first time you'll be dabbling with Irfanview's batch processing features (don't want to accidentally overwrite your originals with reduced resolution).

In Irfanview, open up one of the pictures from the group needing to be batched resized.

Once the picture has loaded, go to File -> Batch Conversion/Rename.

The Batch Conversion window will open.

Make sure the box is checked to use advance options otherwise the "Advanced" button will be greyed out.

Click on the Advanced button to go into advanced options.

Select the size that you want to resize them to. For a good 4x6 print, you'll probably want to keep them at 1200x1800 to keep a 300 dpi resolution. You might also want to consider adding a little sharpening to them (I typically have the sharpening value set to 5).

Click OK and it will take you back to the Batch Conversion window.

In the upper window, select the files that you want to resize and click on the Add button (or you can click on "Add all" if all the photos are in the folder that you're exploring).

You have some renaming options. I always like to have it add "-r" to the file name so that I can easily see that it's been resized when viewing them later.

Select the output folder and Start Batch.

Things should be pretty straight. Let me know if this works out for you. If it doesn't, PM me and I can give you a call to walk you through it. It's simple once you do it a few times. Good luck...

4. 1FASTZ,

Thanks for the suggestion. Before anyone replied, I was kind of pushed for time so I did something similar but I will have to remember exactly what you wrote as it seems better. I looked at a couple of my pics back in the P&S days and most of them were at 2048x1360 so I decided to use that in irfranview since I would just upload those and get decent 4x6's. It brought most down to about 1.7MB which made things easier. Next time I run into this though I will take your advice and use 1200x1800 which I assume will result in decent 4x6's and a smaller file size too. Thanks

Eddie

5. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    No problem, I went back and edited with a few more details while you were replying, so the additional details may make things more clear. Glad that you got things squared away.

To play it safe, you did the right thing with the added resolution. You may want to experiment a little on a couple photos to compare the 2048x1360 to the 1200x1800 for the next time. I'm not sure the 2048x1360 will gain you anything on a 4x6, but it would be interesting to hear what your results show if you try the experiment.

6. There just basic snaps of my students so I am going down to Costco in an hour or so to pick them up. Many teachers do the same, but we only have Black and white laser jets so many will just print them out this way. It's going to cost me about $25 for 143 4x6 prints, but I promised my kids that theirs would be in color. :biggrin:

7. You can easily do this in CS3 starting from Bridge. Select the photos in question and click on the menu selection: Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor.

Fill in the blanks with sizing and save options as desired, and you're all set.

Optionally you can run an at the same time in case you want a copyright, some sharpening, black borders, or whatever.