Need Some Sugestions-HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by aman17, Mar 24, 2007.

1. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Ok my CEO gave me the ok to purchase a new lens.Now the question.I now own a 28-200,300f/4 and a kenko pro 300 1.4.I also have the D-200and a D-70.I love to shoot wildlife and birds so distance is a problem.I was thinking about the 200-400.
    So for all you experts I need some good advice.I am trying to keep the price within reach.any ideas would greatly be appreciated.This conversation is now open---thanks guys and girls.:confused:

2. What is your budget? Love spending someone elses money:biggrin:

Nancy

3. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    well I was trying to keep it under five.
    thanks

4. Well, you could go three ways. A Nikon 300 2.8, the new one or the non VR one, plus TC's. That would bring you somewhat over five, depending what model 300 you got of the Nikon's. That would give you, in 35mm terms, a 2.8 450mm, with the 1.4 TC a 650mm f4, and with the 1.7 TC more at f5.6. The 300 2.8 takes TC's VERY well. Or, you could get the Sigma, Tamron or Tokina 300 2.8's with their TC's. All three are suppose to be VERY good lens and would definitely bring you under five. The Sigma, for example is listed at B&H for $2599. Now, the third thing would be to look for a used Nikon 500 f4 or look at the Sigma f4.5, listed at B&H at $4199. It depends on what you what to carry around too. As you can see from my signature I opted for the 300 2.8 way and have been very happy. Anyway, hope this helps or it could be clear as mud :tongue: :biggrin: You do have some nice choses though. And before I forget it, you must look at a proper tripod and head for any of these lens, so that might enter into the cost. I highly recommend the Wimberley head for wildlife pics, but those run $595.00.

Nancy

5. To add, I would not go on the 200-400 only because you already have the 300 f4. And, I have always felt that primes take TC's much better IMHO:smile:

Nancy

6. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    hey thanks flygirl for the input and by the way the tri pod and head is already a done deal.I have the RRS head and sidekick so now it's down to getting the right lens.Tough decision.
    thanks

7. pjs38

pjs38 Guest

i have (and am selling, but only b/c i am switching--dont shoot me) the 200-400VR. it is a beautiful, beautiful lens, and with some practice i learned to shoot it handheld even at pretty low shutter speeds (thanks to VR, this is really possible). but it is heavy, and following fast moving objects--i.e., small birds--is very difficult. still, a beautiful piece of glass, and amazingly sharp.

8. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Thanks for the input Paul.I'm still trying to make a desicion.

9. For what it's worth: I have found that when shooting with a zoom lens that more often than not I am always at the long end anyway -- say, with my 70-200mm VR I usually am shooting at 200mm. Therefore you might not use the 200-300 part of the 200-400mm lens all that much and would be shooting mainly at 400mm. ? You would get a lot of flexibility with the 200-400 but you also would get great image quality and flexibility with the 300mm f/2.8 VR and a couple of TCs. The 300mm f/2.8 VR is a bit easier to handle than the 200-400mm, too, IMHO.

Fun decision!

10. Hi Connie,

I think that - aside the op needing - what you said is only partly true. Yes, zooms are often pushed to their longer focal lenght, but this often happen since they are in some way too short for what we need. I think of my soccer shots where actually my 200 is always at 200 or so but just because I'd like to fill more of the frame with players figures. But, of course, on a sport field, you can't - imho - use only a fixed lenght since the distance from the subject may vary and a lot also. Of course, if two players are near the closer border line, I won't use at all the 200mm but I'd switch immediately to the wider end, in my case 70mm. The truth is that probably we would need longer and more versatile zooms, long enough to shoot in the middle range, and in this moment I'm thinking of the 80-400, of course, although its relatively slow aperture plus the fact it isn't motorized to move all this glass doesn't sound so good to me. Then, of course you will always need a far tight portrait of a player OR a crop around the ball, a bird, etc. but if you shoot sports this will change your shooting habits and range.
    In my case, I guess when adding the 1.7tc (I hope soon) I won't be shooting every time at 340mm (= 510mm) unless the player fill completely the frame.. nay, I'll have to move back just a bit to adjust the new framing with my needings.

All the best.

11. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    300/2.8 VR + TC-17E. End of story :smile:

12. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It's a good feeling once you make up your mind.

13. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    Thanks Connie for the input.This going to be a tough one.
    arnie
    I thank you to Italy and just so you know I just sold my 80-400.It was just too slow and I wasn't thrilled with it's sharpness.
    Thanks arnie

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    :131: Yup I to feel a trend is forming,but I still need some more convincing.Oh by the way if I didn't mention it I do own the 300 f4.How do we explain this to the CEO?

16. I'm in your exact situation. I have been torturing myself trying to make a decision. Today, I'm still committed to the 500 f4. Of course I would like th 600 but that is another 3K. At some point you have to say NO!!! Anyway, I don't think TC's are really the solution. If they were, your 300 f4 would be fine. It's not of course because it simply doesn't have the length. So, like me, save save save...

Dan

17. aman17

aman17

Sep 27, 2006
    New Jersey,USA
    yeah I know what you mean except when the CEO gives the ok you've got to move or we start all over again.You know what thats like .
    What part of NJ you at? Middlesex county here.

18. The difference is 2.8 not 4!

Nancy