Need Some Wireless Help!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by iShoot, Oct 3, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I'm looking for something like pocket wizards, but something under 300. I haven't done much research, but thats why I'm here, to get some advice from my fellow Nikonians. I've got a shoot comming up, and the only thing I do with off camera strobing is with CLS, but the sync speed is a bummer. So I thought about something like the pocket wizard. What I am looking for are pocket wizards or something similar, and some umbrellas. Thanks!

2. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Anyone got any advice?

3. It might help if you gave some background on your requirements. Like how many remotes you want to control, at what working distances, under what kind of lighting conditions, etc.

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    The radio triggers will not increase sync speed. The cheap ones probably reduce it. It is the shutter construction that determines maximum sync speed.

Also, the radio triggers like Pocket Wizard are incompatible with Nikons Commander/Remote Automatic Wireless System. They will require full manual operation.

There are the new Radio Poppers said to be compatible with the Nikon Commander, but I know little about them.

CLS must means "anything pertaining to the current Nikon flashes". It does not mean Automatic Wireless System. CLS as a name means nothing.

5. If this is for a paid shoot, I wouldn't trust any of the cheaper radio triggers.

If they're for speedlights, then I'd stay with Pocket Wizard.

No matter what system you use, you'll be stuck with the sync speed, as this is due to the shutter.

6. TeknoSmurf

TeknoSmurf

Sep 25, 2008
    NE PA
    If anything, CLS would give you faster sync speeds, via FP, than any of the radio remotes would.

7. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I'm going to do some outdoor subjects, and I'll be using two Sb-800s. I want a faster shutter speed, but even with the pocket wizard this means nothing? The shutter speed using my D80 as a commander is at 200, but if i got the Pocket Wizards will it increase?

Here is my set-up. D80 on board flash used a commander, and I have two 800s, under remote mode. The sync speed is limited to 200, when you use FP the strobe must be on the hotshoe.

Now I'm wondering with the Auto FP on, will i be able to get the fast shutter using a pocket wizard on the hot shoe, and the mounted PWs controlling the two 800s?

8. I don't believe that's correct. Please give it a try and report back.

9. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I enabled Auto FP from before, and I cant get passed 200 for my shutter speed when using the onboard flash as a commander.

10. I think he may be right, but I'm not sure.

iShoot, the Shutter speed is limited by what your camera can cope with, so no matter what you do, you won't get a faster flash sync.

Unless you went for a D70s, or D40 that had the gated shutters, and were capable of 1/500

11. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Will a d300 get up there?

12. Nope, 1/250

Same with D700 and D3.

13. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Well let me ask one more question to reassure, sorry if this is dragging, but i really do need the help, and my local camera shop doesnt know the answer either.

When I have the Sb-800 on the hotshoe and have the Auto FP function enabled, I can do to speeds all the way to 1/4000. So if i have the Pocket Wizard mounted on the hotshoe, will Auto FP work, and somewhat fool the camera go to those speeds?

14. I know that you can push the shutter speed as high as you want with a Pocket Wizard on, but I have never tried to use AutoFP with it. I don't think it will work, because there's no communication between the camera and flash with pocket wizard, the flash must be used in Manual.

I'll try and see if I can have a go tonight.

15. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Thank you PhilDpho! If this works, you are truely an awesome person.

16. I had a quick look around and it doesn't seem as if it can be done.

Though there is a lot of mention that FP High Speed should work with CLS.

If you want radio triggers and Auto FP, then you may be best looking at Radio Poppers.

17. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Yea, i dont know about the Auto FP working. I think my train of thought is still using the on board flash as the commander, because Auto FP does not work with the on board flash. So if i had my SB 800 as the commander and have Auto FP on, it should work then?

18. I just checked to see if I could do high speed sync using my camera's popup flash to command my sb800 remote wirelessly. The answer is yes.

Go to your menu, find the section where you specify sync speed, and change the setting to FP. Then, when you use the popup as your commander, you'll find you'll find you can use shutter speeds above 1/200 with your flash.

19. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Uncle Frank where is that at? Are you using a D80, when you mentioned this?

20. I'm using a d200, but it works the same way on your d80. It's confirmed in a post about halfway down this dpr thread about the d80.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=28686275

Now let's give it a go. On your d80, go to custom menu setting #25, which is titled AUTO-FP. Change the setting to ON. Put your popup in commander mode, set the mode for controlling the remote to TTL. Then see if you can sete the camera's shutter speed to something above 1/200. If you can, you've successfully entered wireless high speed flash mode, and the normal sync speed is no long an obstacle.