Need Suggestion: 70-200mm VR focus test

Hi guys!
I just bought a used Nikon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8 VR recently. I did some focus test to test the focus adjustment. What do you guys think? Does it focus correctly? I think it is okay. Thanks a bunch!!

This chart was shot at 200mm, ƒ/2.8, 1/500s, ISO 1000

1249980550_hHvmq-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1249980452_tYUV2-X3.jpg

what were the images of? Care to post one up so we can take a look?

Here is a picture of my roommate that I took earlier today. It's not sharp at all, right?
1250304532_FK4QQ-X3.jpg

Go for a walk, turn VR off and try some shots at a shutter speed of about 1/2000 and see how they turn out. Might have just been bad luck. For me it usually takes a while to start getting keepers when I get a new lens. Was your test shots done from a tripod or HH?

When I look at the enlarged version it appears the focal point was his right arm sleeve, Need to make sure you were using the single focus point aimed at one of the eyes for a static shot of a person. Would like to see the exif info as well...

Focus charts look OK; portrait is out of focus.

A couple of things to have in mind:
- in your chart photos, it seems that your position was a bit to the left from the center of the the paper. It influences focus, because of very thin DOF. Take care about that.
- also, photos are much underexposed (you need some + exposure compensation when you shoot white objects)
- WB is also wrong;
- all of these errors make it harder to see if the focus is OK or not

The portrait is out of focus.
Are you sure that your focus point was on his face / eyes when you took the photo?
This is crucial.

If your AF was set so that the camera chooses the focus point (or your focus point was on his arm etc.), this test is completely useless.

Go for a walk, turn VR off and try some shots at a shutter speed of about 1/2000 and see how they turn out. Might have just been bad luck. For me it usually takes a while to start getting keepers when I get a new lens. Was your test shots done from a tripod or HH?

It was taken hand-held.. Yep I'm gonna try to take more pictures. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah it does look a little soft to me. This was at 200mm rigth? might be a bit of camera shake if VR was off.

Yes, it is at 200mm.

When I look at the enlarged version it appears the focal point was his right arm sleeve, Need to make sure you were using the single focus point aimed at one of the eyes for a static shot of a person. Would like to see the exif info as well...

I did use the single focus and I aimed it around his head (Not exactly at one of the eyes). You can see the exif here http://www.flickr.com/photos/50321750@N03/5616970255/meta/. Thanks for helping!!

Focus charts look OK; portrait is out of focus.

A couple of things to have in mind:
- in your chart photos, it seems that your position was a bit to the left from the center of the the paper. It influences focus, because of very thin DOF. Take care about that.
- also, photos are much underexposed (you need some + exposure compensation when you shoot white objects)
- WB is also wrong;
- all of these errors make it harder to see if the focus is OK or not

The portrait is out of focus.
Are you sure that your focus point was on his face / eyes when you took the photo?
This is crucial.

If your AF was set so that the camera chooses the focus point (or your focus point was on his arm etc.), this test is completely useless.

I used the single point focus for this shot. I aimed it on the head/face but it came out like that.. I did a better focus test (increased exposure and more straight picture). What do you think? Thanks for your suggestion!
5617574668_c284933873_b.jpg

focus test2 by Paulus Lahidin, on Flickr

5617003687_907b066811_b.jpg

DSC_0009c by Paulus Lahidin, on Flickr

My kinda focus "test" handheld SOOC 200mm f2.8 :eek:
Ya get the shot you know you have a good lens. Never shot a chart/brick wall
in 45 yrs of photography. :wink:

82c12053.gif

Sir Oliver made some sensible suggestions, but there is more.

I looked at your shots on Flickr and checked the EXIF data. I really don't think the lens is the problem, your technique and settings are wrong. You said the shots were handheld. Your shutter speed was high enough, so that should not be a big problem, but the very narrow target on the focus chart require a tripod for valid results. Even a very tiny movement of the camera/lens, when you press the shutter will move the point of focus away from your intended area, giving the impression focus is off.

Next is VR. At shutter speeds over 1/500 sec VR is of questionable value, and over 1/800 sec VR needs to be off. You do have high shutter speeds in the examples.

Last is ISO, in the reshot chart you are at ISO 3200. That is a poor choice for a test of sharpness, you need to be at or near base ISO.

Try one more time shooting the chart at base ISO and on a tripod, VR must be off on the tripod. Next try some daylight shots, with or without VR depending on shutter speed, and see how they come out.

Sir Oliver made some sensible suggestions, but there is more.

I looked at your shots on Flickr and checked the EXIF data. I really don't think the lens is the problem, your technique and settings are wrong. You said the shots were handheld. Your shutter speed was high enough, so that should not be a big problem, but the very narrow target on the focus chart require a tripod for valid results. Even a very tiny movement of the camera/lens, when you press the shutter will move the point of focus away from your intended area, giving the impression focus is off.

Next is VR. At shutter speeds over 1/500 sec VR is of questionable value, and over 1/800 sec VR needs to be off. You do have high shutter speeds in the examples.

Last is ISO, in the reshot chart you are at ISO 3200. That is a poor choice for a test of sharpness, you need to be at or near base ISO.

Try one more time shooting the chart at base ISO and on a tripod, VR must be off on the tripod. Next try some daylight shots, with or without VR depending on shutter speed, and see how they come out.

Oh I see. For the lens chart, I think it's sharp. Maybe I forgot to turn off the VR. when taking a picture of my friend. Thanks for helping! I'll give another try!

The picture of your friend is actually sharp but slightly back focused. Next time keep the camera in Continuous Servo (AF-C) mode and take a few pictures in succession by letting the AF hunt for better contrast between frames. One of the pictures should come out tack-sharp.

Jack

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom