Need Suggestions for a Group Shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by OldGuy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. The second week-end in August, I have been asked to take the official group portrait at my 50th high school reunion (no comments about my user name, OK...:smile: ). So, the shoot will be outside, weather permitting @ around 6:30 PM. there will be about 100 in the group.

I am using my D200 and I will most likely use my Sigma 24 1.8. Or, should I spring for the Sigma 24-70 2.8 ( the NIkon is out of budget range at the moment ) to give me some versatility throughout the weekend? Other lenses I have are: 70-200 AFS VR 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, plus the TC14 and TC 17-all Nikon.

Now the big question. I have 2 SB800's, 2 45" white umbrellas with 10' stands which can be reversed to shoot thru, and 2 Lightspheres. I want to use the SB800's as fill, but with that size group, should I use them sans umbrellas and dial them down or not, and how should I position them with or without the umbrellas?

I will use the lightspheres inside for candids to eliminate red-eye.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

John Walker
    A Kalamazoo Nikonian

2. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    can you post an image of the location at the time in question?

3. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to the site until the week of the reunion due to the distance and other commitments.