Need to expertly photograph a large film print

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steve S, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Doing photo shoot for a golf instructor's brochure he's making, and he wants to include a landscape pic that's already been printed in a large 11x16 size from film.

What's the best way to do this? I have a studio, including strobes & softboxes, etc.

2. I'd go like this:

Studio
    The print under a clean glas, well pressed. If it's framed, then I hope the framing job was well done.
    1 soft box at the camera level (exactly where the camera is. If there is a reflection, then move the flash until there is no more reflection. Try a polarizer too.

You must have the camera exactly parallel to the print. Otherwise you will enocunter new problems.

Shoot raw, of course, and make a pre-white balance.

That's about it :)

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    "pic of pic" all done and looking good

It was mounted in one of those "frameless" frames, with just glass and support clips, so it was easy to take the glass off. Followed both your, and others' tips from DPR, setting it directly below my D2x/60 Micro, mounted vertically on my Markins ballhead and tripod, and used a cable release. Shot it in raw @1/20th, f7.1, Kelvin 5300, (an educated WB guess), lit it with my 47in Octabox on an AB400, angled about 45 deg. Also used a previous shot taken with my Greytag-Macbeth card for Black, Grey, White references in PS. Finally, saved it in 3 different colorspaces, aRGB, sRGB, and finally one in CMYK, since I don't know what the printer wants. I honestly cannot tell it's a "pic of a pic". It's a perfect reproduction.