Need to identify what happened

We were at my daughters house tonight for Christmas Eve. I was taking some photos of the kids. I had the camera on silent shutter. When we were in their basement all the photos had stripes in them. The ones I took upstairs were fine. I tried when I got home and everything is working fine. Does anyone know what could have caused this problem? How could I have prevented it?
_DSC6784.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thom Hogan's explanation excerpted from his Z6/Z7 Guide: "You may see flicker or banding when shooting under frequency-based lighting (fluorescent, mercury vapor, sodium, and LED). That’s because the electronic shutter is a rolling shutter—it only gathers light from a narrow band at a time, slowly moving down the sensor band by band. You may need to set your shutter speed longer than 1/15 so as to not get pattern interference in frequency-based lighting."

He uses silent photography only when he has to use it. That's because of that and other limitations.

Last edited:
"Rolling shutter" and fluorescent ( I didn't realize that other light sources could also be problematic) have been an issue for a while. Even before I purchased and began using my new gear I was aware of the potential of issues when using silent mode. About the only time I use "silent mode" on my camera is when I am outdoors shooting wildlife who might be spooked by the sound of the shutter being released, especially at "Continuous High". In my kitchen at home, with its fluorescent light fixture, I definitely avoid silent shutter! Since I am not a wedding shooter or someone who shoots in situations where a silent shutter really is necessary, this hasn't been a big issue for me. It is something, though, which all photographers using current mirrorless cameras need to know about.

Real Name
Andrew
Thom Hogan's Guide says "Don’t turn [flicker reduction] On unless you know that you need it. That’s because it will distort the shutter release timing a bit."

I’ve never experienced this phenomenon and I basically leave the flicker reduction mode on all the time.

I’ve never experienced this phenomenon and I basically leave the flicker reduction mode on all the time.

That doesn't surprise me. Consider Hogan's clarification: "Normally you won’t notice [shutter lag] as the delay this function imposes tends to be incredibly short for a single shot. But if you’re shooting in continuous mode you might notice hiccuping to the frame rate with this function active and lighting that has frequency-based sources." And the following: "Also note that Flicker reduction, when active, will often produce continuous shooting that doesn’t match your fps setting."

By the way, when using the focus shifting capability, the camera automatically turns off the flicker reduction even if the user had enabled it.

Last edited:
The banding will go away when you get out of silent shutter, as stated above.
I do not believe flicker reduction has anything to do with this type of banding. It helps control light flicker which effects the whole frame- even if in mechanical shutter mode.
I have tried electronic shutter multiple times, and between the banding and the rolling shutter distortions I no longer even try it.
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom