Need to make a decision on Zenfolio

I've had my Zenfolio account now for two years, and quite frankly, if it just paid for itself, I wouldn't mind. But I've gotten very few orders and now it's up for renewal on the 25th. I like having my photos on there for people to see, but I'm just not sure it's worth the $100 a year for that. If they let you break it down into payments, I wouldn't mind, but it has to be paid all at once. So I'm not sure what to do...do I leave it for another year, and hope that orders pick up, or just chuck it. I really don't have the time to put all those photos on my own website.

Carole

Do you use your own website to sell photos? If so, then why have two? Personally, I like zenfolio and have used it for a couple of years myself to showcase my images, but I don't rely on it for sales. My images generally sell by word of mouth and people contact me directly. My advice is to select one over the other, and stick with it. Put any savings towards more photo toys :smile:

Do you use your own website to sell photos? If so, then why have two? Personally, I like zenfolio and have used it for a couple of years myself to showcase my images, but I don't rely on it for sales. My images generally sell by word of mouth and people contact me directly. My advice is to select one over the other, and stick with it. Put any savings towards more photo toys :smile:
My own website is just a kind of front door to Zenfolio. My website is carolemay.com and my Zenfolio is carolemayimages.com. I can't give up carolemay.com as I have all my main email addresses there. I just wish I'd get a few more orders on Zenfolio to make it worth its while.

Carole

Have you considered switching to the cheaper package for $50/year? That way, you can keep everything set up as it is and people can always contact you for sales/purchases. You can always signup for mpixpro and drop-ship as if it were zenfolio too (i think?)

I have a similar decision but with smug. I got my first year at 50% off, but not worth it for me for $150, so will probably switch to the $50 plan at zen.

I did consider that, Jin, but the reason I went with the Premium package was that I could automatically watermark my photos and not have to do it myself. To do it now, I'd have to pull all the photos down, watermark them, and re-upload them, or just not worry about them getting stolen.

I think what I need to do is come up with a way to market my photos. I just don't know enough about that or even how to get started.

Carole

Carol, what you are finding (and others have found) is that it's hard work to get a Smug/Zen site to be noticed by the general public... it can be done, but it involves time and things like SEO's, from what I can gather. You need to be very active in directing people to that site, via another site, a blog or two, etc... A thought about your pictures and watermarking: I have developed an action that I use in PS (I can run it right out of Bridge, actually) automatically watermarks, resizes, and sharpens for web any number of images I choose in a folder...It would still be a lot of work, depending on hos many images you have on your site, but if you would choose to drop to a cheaper package, that is one idea to consider in looking forward...:smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom