Need to make LONG home made PC sync cord...how?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by mf44, Oct 26, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi folks,

I need to make a sync cord that's at least 100 feet long. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? Where I can buy the ends I need, etc?

Also, are there any products that allow me to plug in, say, 5 sync cords into a box and then in turn plug one into my camera to trigger all five? I have a friend who is an electrical engineer. Would it be possible to have him make me something? Again, anyone know where I can find applicable parts?

Thanks!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'd cut up some shorter cords and solder them together to make a 'pentafurcated' cord. Same thing with adding an extension cord in the middle, but you might have problems with resistance over 100 feet. Have you considered an infrared or radio device?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Chris,

Yeah I'm thinking I'll most likely cut up some existing cords. I'm avoiding radio because there will be many individuals shooting with PocktWizards etc at these events and I want to try to avoid any conflict. Plus, the cord seems like it'll be a bit more fool proof. I know that SI still uses cords in some arenas to trigger strobes for that reason.

Paul,

Any idea of who made that box you speak of, or what it's called? I've been searching, but I wonder if I can't find anything just because I don't know a good name for it. As for the current and resistance issues, you figure I won't run into any problems even at extreme lengths? Like I said, I have a buddy who is an electronics expert, but I am not. Unfortunately he knows nothing about cameras, hah.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll mess around and see what works.

Edit: Nevermind about the litte PC sync thing, found one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109455-REG/Kaiser_201322_Triple_Flash_Contact_.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005