Need to Replace External Hard Drive

One of my external hard drives, which serves as a backup for my images, needs to be replaced. It looks like the power connection got severely bent somehow and it broke off when I tried straightening it. (Part of the cord's connector is now in the power receptacle of the hard drive.)

This is a 2 TB USB 2.0 drive and I'd like to replace it with the same thing or larger. Yes - I know that USB 2.0 is older technology now, but I don't want to open the computer box to do anything (like install an internal card or something - if that's necessary) in order to go with something newer. I just want to plug it into the same port as this drive was using, and backup my file so I'm back to where I was ASAP.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an external 2 TB (or larger) USB 2.0 drive? Amazon has these listed.

FWIW - my system OS is Windows Vista 64 bit.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any USB 3 drive is backwards compatible to USB 2, you won't get the USB 3 speed but it will work fine.
Thinks, Bill. That's good to know.

However, here's another thought. I have no reason to belive that the actual hard drive is bad. The problem is with the power connection to the case. Is it possible to remove the hard drive and just put it into a new case?

If so, the external hard drive is Western Digital Model # WDBAAU0020HBK-01. I can't see any screws on the exterior to remove anything to take the case apart. Does anyone know how to open this case?

Or....another option might be just getting a new power cord. I can get one of a number of replacements from Amazon. If this is a viable option, which of these would be best? ...and how do I clear out what's left of the plug and stuck in the drive's power receptacle?

Just to complete the entire "picture" , here's what's left of the plug:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The rest of it is stuck inside the external hard drive's power receptacle:

So, what's my best option? :confused:

Thanks!

Looks like it is just an SATA drive....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwGHiMaIxD8

You could make it an internal or buy a hard drive enclosure.
Thanks, Don! It looks simple enough. I think I'll just buy a hard drive enclosure follow this route, since the data should still be there and no data transfer will be necessary. (It's also the cheapest option.)

Thanks for the link! (I had to turn down that music though. :rolleyes:)

Vantec has a very good reputation in the computer forums. I have a Venus DS3 that has worked for years, but I’m not sure they are still out there.

Here's some info on getting the case open.
http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Western%20Digital%20Elements%20External%20Hard%20Drive%20Disassembly

Edit- Looks like I posted this a few minutes to late.
OK. I got the hard drive out of the case, following what's illustrated in the video. Thanks!

Get a case that has a fan in it, heat is what kills drives and many cheap ones have no fans.
Makes sense. But, none of the cases I've seen on either Amazon or Newegg seem to have fans. Do you have a link or recommendation for a specific model?

Thanks!

I ended up buying a new enclosure at Staples (to save me some time), but I'm having problems now. Details are in this thread.

If anyone could help me out there, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom