Need Urgent Help

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Simba909, May 11, 2007.

1. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I'm not really sure if this is the correct forum for this but I am in desparate need of help. I was removing my 300mm 2.8 type I lens from the monopod and a spring looking thing came out of the collar thread. Now I can't attach the monopod to the lens. I have an event I need to shoot on Monday and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it is a home fix or do I need to send the lens in.

Thanks

2. How about finding a local camera shop and seeing if they can help you repair it?

3. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I did and they said I would have to leave it for around a week because they are behind. I'll probably have to do that but I was wondering if there was a quick fix so I could use it at a tournament this weekend.

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Unfortunately it got all twisted and bent out of shape.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    What size is the screw on the monopod? Most tripod screws are 1/4-20 and that is what the lens is set to accept. If the monpod is smaller thread, there is a helicoil that you can screw into the lens foot and it will accept the smaller monopod screw. If this is the situation, you can try some camera stores, some in my area carry them, or you can bring the gear to an auto parts store (as suggested above) as they might have a helicoil that would work. Whatever you do, be careful about cross-threading the lens foot, they are aluminum and strip easily.

6. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks a lot, I will definitely give it a try.

7. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Greg and Baywing
    Thank you very much for the advice. I went to the auto part store and bought a kit for $20 and I was able to repair it. Good as new.

You guys are lifesavers!!

Thanks