Need Windows 10 related help

Real Name
Dan
A couple of years ago I switched from Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 laptop as my primary machine. When I did so I took the SSD and HDD out of the desktop and sold it for parts. The SSD had the operating system on it and working files. The HDD was for bulk storage. I held on to the drives just in case. Well for once just in case has reared its head. I'm looking for some files that I believe are on the SSD. I have the same SATA/USB adapter that I used when I installed the SSD years ago. When I plug it in to my laptop(Win10) it won't recognize the drive. I assume the problem has something to do with the operating system files being on that drive? Anyone have advice on what I need to do to access the drive?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There is no reason that having an operating system installed on the drive would cause a problem.

Try the HDD using the same method - can that drive be seen?

Go to Computer Management. Then within that Disk Management. Then plug in the drive. Does the drive show up at all?

Maybe that adapter requires some software that was part of the SSD migration software you used originally.

If none of that helps you need to find someone with a desktop with a spare SATA connector in it who will let you take the lid off, plug it in, and get your data off it. (I'm too far away!) Or someone local who has a PC repair service.

Real Name
Don Roy
Richard is right. Just because you don't see the drive in File Explorer with a drive letter assigned, doesn't mean it's not being recognized by the OS.

Real Name
Dan
Never occurred to me that the adapter might need software. Just looks like a cable to me. I've got a 3.5 in housing. Guess I could try plugging it in there.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom