1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need Your Help Nikonians!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by iShoot, Jun 30, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I have a chance to buy this lens Nikkor 24 2.8 AI. Will it fit on my D80? I read somewhere that the lenses with that metal tab does not fit on the DSLRs, is this true, theres the lens. Not the actual lens i will buy but the same model, i dont know if i can post a link to the actual site, just pm me.

[​IMG]

2. It should fit, the only issue may be the metering. I'd Google "AI lens metering D80" and see what you get. :smile:

3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    No problems on fitting, but it won't meter. Personally I don't think it's worth the money because manual focus with wide angles is darn difficult no matter how good your eyes are (and I have near 20-20 vision).

There are a lot of decently good to excellent zoom lenses that cover 24mm with f/2.8. Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 costs less than $200 through Cameta on Amazon.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    The lens pictured is an AIS not AI, however on your D80 it will make no difference in performance.

As mentioned above you will have no metering and MF will be quite difficult.

5. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Thanks guys! I'm possibly getting the lens under 30 bucks, so i think it will be worth it,lol. I don't mind the focusing, but there is nothing to do about the metering, its either dont use the lens for get a D200 or higher for the metering right?LOL.

6. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    For under 30USD I'd go for it! The build of these old lenses is so good and their control surfaces work like a dream.

I assume this lens is very much like the 28/2.8 AIS model which is a dream to work with. I mainly use it with film however when I can be bothered with manual focus and metering on the D50 it makes great results.

You're right about the metering, D200, D300, D2 and D3 will give full matrix metering with AI and AIS lenses. You just have to enter a bit of data first.

7. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    So none of the metering functions at all, not even CW or SPot?

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Sadly not.

Set the camera to Manual, set the aperture on the lens and set the shutter speed using the main command dial as you would do normally in manual mode.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.