1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need your help selecting a tripod

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by DJVCuda, Aug 7, 2008.

1. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I get dizzy looking online at tripods - There is a local camera store that stocks bogen and gitzo.

Basically I'd like some experienced input - I borrow a tripod at this point and its getting to the point where I need my own!

heaviest glass would be an 80-200 2.8

possibility of an sb800 mounted to the body ( D80 )

I would mainly use it for static shots, and about 1/4 of its use would be panning ( cars going down a drag strip )

Mostly outdoors, but weight dont bother me.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for?

I am assuming a ball head would not be in my best interests since I will only be panning - but any comments on that would be appreciated as well

Thanks!

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    How much are you prepared to spend for the tripod and the head?

3. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I've been considering anything under $500 at this point - since most of my work is hand held.

But I am open to any / all suggestions.
    Thanks

4. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Take a look at Feisol. And I'm surprised here is no reference to Thom Hogan's brilliant article on buying right the first time!

5. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    thanks...will do!

6. If you'll be panning a lot, make sure you get a head with independent panning control.

I think the best bang for the buck in tripods these days in Benro. Induro is good, too. They're essentially the same make but have different warranties (Benro: 1 year; Induro: 5 years). They are both made in China of quality materials. Induro is imported by Mamiya, and I'm not sure who imports Benro (although I read somewhere that it was Bogen Imaging).

The Induro C-214 is about $385, weighs just 3.5 lbs. (carbon fiber), and supports 17.6 lbs. It's a 4 section design and collapses to about 20". It comes with a carrying case and a little tool kit with interchangeable spike feet. The short column is an additional $50 if you get the CF short column, about $30 for aluminum. I got the C-214 and short column and love it, but if I had it to do over again I'd get the CX-214 (the CX-214 is about $410 and has an adjustable center column).

The Thom Hogan article referenced above is a great read. However, keep in mind that it is a bit out of date regarding pricing (and he even admits to that), even though the concepts are timeless.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.