Need your suggestions for a tripod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Firelarz, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi again. I am looking to get a new tripod. It will be a Gitzo 6X series, but not sure which one. You can see my gear in my sig. The 500 should be gone soon, 1 more day on the auction, but might get the 400 2.8 eventually. Want to get something that will hold everything.
    The kind of shooting I do is almost anything. Portraits, scenics, coming soon, weddings. Let me hear your suggestions and why.

Thanks for your help. Larz

PS. I currently have a Gitzo G1326 with a full Wimberley head.

2. Get the 5540 CF and never need worry about what glass you hang on it, ever. I use it with my 400 and can throw it over my shoulder and walk about for up to 5 hours before it starts to hurt. The 5540 is about 1 pound lighter than the 1327 it replaced. Also the wimb II is about 1 pound lighter as well and believe me those 2 little pound CAN be felt.... Solid as stone!

3. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    is the 5540 the 6x?

4. Larz,
    Yep, 1/4 turn leg locking/unlocking, anti-rotation legs, 4 section legs so it collapses to a very short length. Do not worry about the 4-section legs as the bottom section has about the same diameter as the 1327 mid-section.

5. I have the 5540 LS, just love it and it handles the 400 easily. I swear it is more stable then the old 1548 it replaced. Best thing is of course the non rotating legs!!!

To be clear the advise is Dont waste money on cheaper stuff just buy the right once and for all... For a big lens the 5540LS is it.

6. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I was looking at this tripod. It is almost the same weight as my G-1326 aluminum tripod. Is the 5540 that much more sturdy?

7. 055C BLACK (or chrome)

The most common tripod for professional photographers is the Manfrotto 055C.
    It has the most acessories and parts are available everywhere.
    Ive got 3 different heads, shoulder strap, side arms, cross trees, flags, castor base and bag.
    This 055c comes in carbon fibre, rubber legs, all to kinky for me.
    Mine is a heavy metal, non , carbon fibre early 80s vintage.
    I cant kill it.
    Its got different generaton shoulder joints, a replacement leg, and its own toolkit.
    The toolkit and other accessories work with other Manfrotto products, like stands, booms, grips, and grunts.:rolleyes:
    What more can you ask for?