Needing to vent a bit sorry....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pirahnah3, Sep 6, 2008.

1. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Why is it that i am constantly being put down by people with cannons? specifically my comisioners wife? she hs a cannon xsi i think it is whichever is the older the xsi or xti i forget (my roomate has the same one and does great work with it). anyways im getting all kinds of flack becuase my pictures arent the greatest because i have really thrown myselfinto learning manual shooting and she is telling my how i wasted all thismoney on my camera and gear and how her camera is so much better, when i askedher what she uses she just said automatic, what else do you use. I am a bit lost and slightly offended that while i am attempting to give my camera the workout it deserves i am getting put down for trying it becuase there is an auto mode. She also keeps telling me how much better the cannon pics are compared to anything i have evre shown her on here. Please noone take offense to this as i have loved the majority of what i see here. My roomate usually shoots in the auto or priority modes and has GM take quite a few of her photos for their blog site, while my commisioners wife has never posted a single picture to the net. My roomate does have a flare for shooting cars and does a great job esspecially with the corvetes (which is what gm usually steals lol) but this woman just doesnt want ot hear it. Anyone have some advice on what i might want to say the next time im there?

I was recently on vacation and showing off my vac pics brought all this up. I was at a fellow nikon users house (and he is a verytallented phtographer who really helped me get the camera set right nad really get me some good practice in shooting)

Thanks for listening to my rants and i take any advice as im getting tired of the mine is beter than yours and everyone elses.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  2. i'm sorry you've had this issue
    canon makes good cameras, too, of course

we have to thank canon.... if they hadn't made FX cameras... then nikon wouldn't have been forced to match and surpass them with their recent choices

soon, canon will be doing better things, as well
    it's all part of the cycle

canon..... nikon.....
    they are both good
    but....
    to me, nikon is a religion.... i joined because my dad gave me his old nikkormat FTn in the early 70s

3. The one who continuously shoots on Auto is the one who needs the P&S (or well, has made her camera into an over-blown P&S :tongue:).

You are working to learn the triangle of exposure: ISO, shutter speed, aperture. How exactly is a P&S going to help you there? Tell her that you've chosen digital over film b/c you wanted to stay away from reciprocity failure. I'll let ya know how loud the thump is here in Holliston when her jaw drops open. :wink:

All kidding aside, anyone who is going to slam you for learning is telling something rather unbecoming about themselves. One thing that may also make a big difference is the PP. If she's allowing her camera to do in-camera sharpening, saturation boosts, contrast boosts, etc.......and you're working on learning it on your own (and thus have your in-camera settings toned down) ......... sure, straight OOC shots may appear different, but geez.................she's not much of a friend if she's faulting you for learning, and building a solid foundation by learning to shoot in manual.

When did you say her lease was up?? :tongue: :biggrin:

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    oh i agree that nikon cannon and sony are all at the top of the game and that the qulity is there on all levels. i was actually looking at the sony before i was swooned by a nikon.

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    hang on friend, umm me thinks i miss typed osmthing here ill be right back after re reading my first post damn tying and thinking faster than im typing....

ok post edited more reflective of things i was getting messed up with too many stories rolling around in my head.

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Don't let your roommate get into your head. She's just insecure and is defending her turf that way. :smile:

Just smile, and tell her that it's not in the camera and that you hope that one day you can shoot pictures that are just as good as hers. The best way to get a troll quiet is by agreeing immediately. :smile:

Beat her at her own game: get better. Shoot tons and tons of pictures. Get a flickr website and post tons of your pictures there. Join groups. See how others make better pictures than you. :smile: Learn. Improve. Get Better. :smile:

Read some books. But shoot tons and tons of pictures. "Understanding exposure" and "Learning to see creatively" from Brian Peterson are very good. "Shoot!" from Amphoto is even better because it's a compilation of many writers so you don't get stuck with just one author's idea. Shoot tons and tons of pictures.

Go out and shoot a picture of your dorm/condo every day. Early in the morning, at noon, at night, in the rain... Learn how light influences greatly what you take pictures of. Did I mention that you should shoot tons and tons of pictures? :smile:

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    plese to those have opsted go back and reread and change the names or references accordingly, as i dont want to tick anyone off

8. She is trying to tell you the difference is in the brand. That's silly. The difference is in the method of shooting. You have more variables to worry about, she lets her camera decide everything. While her shots may be 'better' right now, keep working and get a good handle on things. You will come out on top b/c you will have greater creative control over your work. :smile:

9. In her case it is the camera doing the work. She's just a mere button pusher--a "paint-by-numbers" person.

You, on the other hand, are attempting to make the camera do what YOU want it to do!

10. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Sounds pretty immature if you ask me. I've used both many times and they are both great formats. I used to curse Nikon b/c I was having noise issues. Now I'm back with the D80 and am having better luck with it now that I've learned to properly expose an image. It's really all about how you use the tools you have (often money permitting), not about what name happens to be engraved on them. Both Canon and Nikon have some fantastic options. More effort needs to be put into learning exposure and composition and less into reviews and theories about who's shooting with what. I think acknowledging these things is often a part of the learning process of photography in general.

11. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif

simply put .... theyre jealous...

12. Jim,

It ain't in the weapon, it's in the warrior.

13. I'm also learning to shoot manual and gaining a great deal from it . If it bugs you take a few pictures in auto as well and compare later , if you like the picture in auto mode check the settings and see why it looks better and learn from it .
    When you first take full control in manual mode with so many variables you also take on the prospect of TOTALLY messing up the shot but once you gain mastery over it you can get much better results than auto in difficult lighting situations .
    [ post a few samples of your shots so people can offer advice on how they could have been better ] .
    Maybe you should tell her "dumb people need smart cameras " , then again the mature thing would be to keep quiet until the results speak for themselves , some people don't deserve an answer .

14. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    I’ve met snobs like her before.

She obviously doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Somewhere along the line she got the notion in her head that Canon is better. She probably feels inadequate in some way and is putting you and your camera choice down in order to build herself up. Now that you know this, it won’t work anymore.

Hold your head high and keep doing the things you are doing. Soon enough your results will be far better than anything she can produce and believe me when I tell you this; she will notice.

BTW, I currently own two Canons. :wink: :wink:

15. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Which Canons do you have? I'd love to be able to afford both formats. I think this is why people tend to get defensive about one or the other. If everyone could afford both and lenses were compatible, it would be a whole new ball game. But, then, there wouldn't be that competition that keeps them cranking out more expensive stuff. :rolleyes:

16. Since you said she was into car shots....
    Here's something to make her even more jealous.
    Compared to her "new" camera, this shot was taken with an "old" D200

Lexus Concept Car LF-A
    D200*Nikon 18-70*Aperture Mode
    Shot at 18mm*3.5 Aperture*No Flash*-0.7 EV

[​IMG]

17. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Thanks guys, needed a little pickup from that morning.

Im not really having ap roblem shooting in manual its just a rather well umm alrge learning curve for me as this is the first SLR camea i have ever even used. Im glad i found this site as everyone here has been helping me out in learning how to do this and really make a statement with my pictures. Im hopping that i can take a few in the near future to blow up and post near my desk with my camera sitting there just to tweak the knife shall we say. but until then its good to know that im not the only one

18. Jim, it is not the camera that

makes good photos, it's the photographer. The equipment is only a means to an end. If you have a passion for taking photos and will put effort into learning the art, it will not matter which brand you use. The Nikon and Cannon brands provide equally capable equipment, and it is incumbent on the photographer to learn how to use that equipment to its greatest advantage to convey the message.

Quite honestly, I started with a D70 and have since moved to a D200, and now a added back-up D200. In the nearly 70,000 images I have made with the equipment, I can think of only a few (less than 50, I'd say, that were taken in eithe "P" or "Auto"). I shoot mostly A mode, with ocassional excursions to M or S.

Please post some images, and get feedback from the helpful people here, and your skills will improve drammatically in a short time (if you wrk to follow the advice).

In the mean time, go get Bryan Peterson's book, "Understanding Exposure", read it cover to cover a couple times and you will have a very good understanding of what imaging systems do to produce an image.

And, I learned a LOT from Uncle Frank about composition in the thread here. Please read and practice that as well.

19. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    If you are passionate about something, the learning part is just as much fun as the knowing. The good thing about photography is that there's always more to learn and the more you learn, the more you want to learn. Like anything else, it takes time. If you aren't really interested, your images will likely reflect that. I've got a part-time job photographing kids on sports teams and by simply learning to use a light meter and my external flash, my photography has improved a great deal and I feel more in control of the results. There are so many different lighting situations and composition styles, the possibilities are endless. Regardless of the gear you have, it's best, IMHO, to get to really know it. To have it feel like second nature in your hands. I personally don't understand why anyone - Nikon or Canon user - would purchase a dslr just to use it on P or A modes. To me, they are doing themselves and the camera a tremendous disservice.

20. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    Just do what I do- I never try to argue with people that are stupid (think stupidity v. ignorance) Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras, but it is still the indian and not the arrow.
    Next time they bother you about it, ask if they have ever used their Canon for a colonoscopy. They probably won't bother you again.