Needs advice on selling with Craigs List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crazy Cat Lady, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    I am going to put an item up for sale on craigslist and feel uneasy about it. It cost quit a bit and I am worried about being scammed. I have sold on ebay and fredmiranda, but something about this feels different. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on selling on craigslist? For example, I have the sales receipt and was going to include that for the warranty, but not sure if I want to because it has my address on it since they will be local. Should I include the sales receipt? And I should say cash only, correct?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Depends on who you sell it to

My experience:

-Craigs was less hassle than eBay to list and is free. It is not much different than buying or selling something from a newspaper want add, only deal in cash. Dealing in cash pretty much precludes anything but a eye to eye meeting, I would never accept a mo or other form of non cash and then ship an item to a stranger. You might make a copy of the bill of sale and cross off your address. Nikon does not offer warranty service to anyone but the original purchaser anyway.

IMO, Craig's is meant for face to face transactions with LOCAL people. I would never deal with someone who can not show up in person for the purchase or sale, but you can agree to meet in a public place like Starbuck's if you are concerned about people coming to your home.

3. A face-to-face would be ideal...but I would not want a seller to limit a sale for face-to-face only. As a purchaser, I may not be able to pick up the item locally. There is nothing wrong with a US Postal money order - they are guaranteed; or a cashier's check; even a personal check. Just make sure they clear BEFORE you ship the item. In other words, you have the money in hand before the item is shipped. If you limit to cash only and local purchase, you limit your sales base as well. I have seen items for sale in Miama (I'm in Florida) and Ft. Lauderdale, but I do not want to drive 500+ miles to pick up an item - not with gas prices where they are at.

Just my two cents, but it is your call. You may have an item that will sell well and where there is a demand for it. Good luck.

4. I have sold many items on CL. Its free and you don't have to pay commission. And the best part, its all local.

However, I always ask for ophone number and talk on the phone to avoid wasting anybodies time and plus some sort of an insurance before you invite a total stranger to your garage!

So far I have sold mostly smaller and cheaper items (marine and scuba related) like less than $200.-. In some instances I got responses in less than 15 minutes of posting and sold within an hour.

5. CASH CASH CASH....don't even think about taking anything but. Many people have taken certified checks and released product to individuals only to find the check is counterfit.

6. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    Thanks for the replies so far. If the person cannot meet face to face, would accepting paypal and only ship to a confirmed mailing address be safe?

7. If you sell locally, never have them come to your house. Meet at a local coffee shop, in front of a bank, or somewhere else very public. I've done a lot of CL transactions, and we always meet somewhere public.

8. I read the horror stories about Craig's List, too... everything from counterfit money to home invasion. Then I tried it, and like Ed said, it was just like selling something through a newspaper ad... but better, cause I wasn't limited to 3 lines and I could include pictures. For safety reasons, I had interested parties contact me on my cell phone, so I would have a callback number.

So far I've made two sales and one purchase through CL. I listed a car for $3,000, and a patio set for $120, and bought a 28-105/3.5-4.5 for $125. In both sales, the items were sold within 24 hours, the buyers were from the local neighborhood, and I was paid in cash. Craig's List is cool ;-).

9. Do not accept anything but cash, and do not ship. There are just too many scammers prowling Craigslist.

Require they leave a phone number, and call them at the phone number to verify the transaction.

Meet in a public place like a Starbucks to finish the transaction. Take someone with you if you don't feel comfortable.

As far as a receipt goes, make a copy of the receipt. But before you make the copy, cover your address with something non-translucent so it does not show.

Above all -- common sense, and do not agree to anything you are not comfortable with.

Good luck!

10. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Ask yourself: are you willing to risk not getting paid for the item, is there a more secure way to sell it even if you might get a bit less, would that be ok with your goals? There is PayPal fraud, and have heard about people buying something then complaining to PayPal until they got a credit for the item...personally I think your reservations about this deal are clear and would agree with the above comment about not doing any transaction your are not comfortable with

Just in general, I have observed that most scams rely on the buyer's or seller's greed. They charm people into believing they are getting something of great value for very little and that if they don't go for it right now it they will lose out. You sound more sophisticated than that...trust your gut!

11. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    as everyone else has said, CL is fine, absolutely identical to newspaper classifieds except free

cash
    meet in public place

some things to mention:
    1. be prepared for flakes, Ive had many people "on their way" to pick something up and never show and never respond to email...oh well, just sell it to someone else

2. be prepared to be haggled over the price, especially after they get there

3. be prepared to possibly get a classic scam email about an associate, shipping company, and cashier's check

12. Hi Jennifer:

When responding to Craiglist, I have made a point to meet face to face a local publicly accessible place, and, bought and sold in cash only. I personally have not been a fan of dealing otherwise. My 2 cents..

13. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    Don't do it. Like others have said - face to face and cash only. Too many scammers on CL.

14. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Every used body or lens I’ve bought (And I’ve bought a lot this way) has been done with a Cashiers Check from my bank. Only had a problem once when a guy wanted to wait for the check to clear before sending the lens. When I asked him why, and told him I didn’t think he was being fair, he called my bank, found out the check was good, and shipped the item right away. (Around $1,500). He said he had seen bad cashiers checks before. I’d never heard of that. (This was in May of this year). That’s very unfortunate, as I do not use PayPal, and move on from any ads saying PayPal only. I’ve heard horror stories about PayPal, but never a cashiers check until recently.

If you get a money order or cashiers check for an item you are selling, verify the check’s validity immediately upon receipt, and ship that item the same day. Don’t punish us honest people for the crimes of a few.

15. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    Gary its interesting how different people's experiences can be

when dealing online I would only use/take paypal

16. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Different strokes for different folks.

It works both ways, tho it’s never happened to me, there are those that never ship the item, but pocket your money.

What happens to someone who has sent a bogus check to someone who has no intention of shipping the item, but just wants to pocket your money? :eek:

17. Rotogravure

Rotogravure

Jul 7, 2008
    California
    Craigslist

I have never sold anything on Craigslist but I have bought several cameras and lenses in the past 2 years. I have always dealt in cash and have always met at a public place. No problems.

There is potentially as much risk for buyers or sellers. Sellers have had their homes invaded in northern California and, I presume, elsewhere. A buyer could just as easily be robbed of their cash when meeting a seller.

I would never meet at my home or place of business; public places only.

The bottom line for me is that if I'm selling something I use ebay. The prices usually get higher. If I'm looking for something to buy I use Craigslist. The prices are usually lower.

Mike

18. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    haha

they both get what they deserve

19. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I have had a fair amount of luck with Craigslist and certainly consider it as good or better than using the newspaper classifieds. I only deal in cash and have sold several items way too large to meet anyone at a place other than my home. I have read some of the horror stories. Maybe I have been lucky, or just live far enough off the beaten path that only honest people make the effort to buy my stuff.

20. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    the only problem Ive ever had with flakes is people saying theyre gonna buy or saying they're on the way and never showing up

way annoying

unfortunately I've done a lot of deals out of the house, I need to stop doing that