NEF "gamut" compared

L10.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

L25.jpg

L50.jpg

L75.jpg

L90.jpg

NEF gamut was calulated here using "traditional" demosaicing. So, it is plotted on a concervative side.[/img]

L is luminosity. The scale of luminosity is from 0 to 100.

ProPhoto is one of the widest colour spaces, you should have it in Photoshop as one of the choices.

Those graphs - inside the borders you have the range of colours that can be recorded in given colour space.

Iliah said:
L is luminosity. The sacle of luminosity is from 0 to 100.

ProPhoto is one of the widest colour spaces, you should have it in Photoshop as one of the choices.

Those graphs - inside the borders you have the range of colours that can be recorded in given colour space.

Thanks Iliah, ProPhoto is not a color space that I have been familiar with in my past reading on the subject. It would seem to me that it would have little use for camera images since most either shoot in Adobe RGB or sRGB. Also, printers all seem to ask for sRGB as the color space of choice. For me personally I shoot in Adobe RGB and convert to sRGB for printing. But then what do I know?

Benefit of converting to sRGB is only for vewing images in non-colour-savvy applications, such as Internet Explorer.

Iliah said:
Gordon, are you shooting in JPEG?

No, I shoot RAW and then open the NEF in Nikon Capture. I don't convert to sRGB until just before saving as a JPEG for printing or for posting to the Web. Most printers I have dealt with want sRGB as the color space.

greyflash said:
No, I shoot RAW and then open the NEF in Nikon Capture.

Printers can not deal with monitor colour space - at least for now. :)

If you shoot RAW, your NEF files are not in AdobeRGB colour space.

PhotoDawg said:
Gordon,

What kind of printer do you use? HP?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I do have an HP printer at home but rarely use it. Most on line printers suggest, and some demand, that you use sRGB for prints submitted to them. Frontier printers as used by Costco, WalMart, Ritz, and others all prefer that you submit prints in sRGB. In fact many printers can't handle a wider gamut than sRGB (or so I have been told).

Iliah said:

Wow, that is a new piece of information for me. What color space are they in? They seem to have an Adobe RGB embeded space. What good does it do to set Adobe RGB in camera if they are not in that space?

Gordon, I think we're both misunderstanding Iliah

The way I read what he said, something's not right. I'm sure he'll explain himself better. Now, whether we understand him or not is another thing.

greyflash said:
Iliah said:

Wow, that is a new piece of information for me. What color space are they in? They seem to have an Adobe RGB embeded space. What good does it do to set Adobe RGB in camera if they are not in that space?

They are in no colour space in common meaning of this term. No, this is not a riddle. Camera records well above AdobeRGB or any other ICC-compliant colour space. It records infra-red and ultra-violet, for example.

Also, camera records linear data, while AdobeRGB is defined as having gamma = 2.2 tonal curve.

What you have in NEF is only a tag which suggests that after NEF conversion you want your file to be in AdobeRGB colour space.

greyflash said:
Iliah said:
L is luminosity. The sacle of luminosity is from 0 to 100.

Thanks Iliah, ProPhoto is not a color space that I have been familiar with in my past reading on the subject. It would seem to me that it would have little use for camera images since most either shoot in Adobe RGB or sRGB. Also, printers all seem to ask for sRGB as the color space of choice. For me personally I shoot in Adobe RGB and convert to sRGB for printing. But then what do I know?

Greyflash,

You can find ProPhoto in PS ACR as a choice. I first read about it in Bruce Fraser's Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop. Sometimes you can rescue blown out whites if you select ProPhoto. Try it; see if it works for you.

Rich

In Nikon Capture you can find Wide coloue space, which is useful to extend gamut of colours. I will prepare one more comparison a little later, after we will release new beta of RML

Latest threads

Top Bottom